Running MacOS Sierra from SSD

Reaction score
I have a mid 2010 Mac Pro Tower with 2 1TB internal HDDs. I purchased a 60GB SSD and a sled for it, with the intention of just running the MacOS Sierra from the SSD, but keeping my home folder and applications on one of my HDDs. Upon trying it, it didn't seem immediately clear to me how to accomplish this. I know you can use carbon copy cloner to clone the HDD to a SSD, but my hard drive is with all of my files and applications is well over 60GB in size. Has anyone accomplished what I'm trying to do? Or should I just wait until I can purchase a 1TB or larger SSD and just clone my HDD to it? I thought this would be a cheaper way to add a little speed to MacOS Sierra.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

A small SSD (60 GB) is a waste of money. Return it and buy a larger one that will hold the contents of your main booting hard drive. It's just too confusing and probably won't work anyway, to try to boot from that small SSD while keeping your home folder with all your data on the HDD. Do it right and you'll be amazed on how fast your Mac Pro will be with Sierra. ;D

OP
R
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

A small SSD (60 GB) is a waste of money. Return it and buy a larger one that will hold the contents of your main booting hard drive. It's just too confusing and probably won't work anyway, to try to boot from that small SSD while keeping your home folder with all your data on the HDD. Do it right and you'll be amazed on how fast your Mac Pro will be with Sierra. ;D

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking, I was just trying to see what I could do on the cheap. OWC has a 1TB SSD for around $350, and I could clone my entire main HDD to that. Thanks for the tip, kind of confirms what I was thinking, I was just trying to be a cheapskate, haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I think a 60gb drive would be fine, if you could keep your media files (audio and video) and libraries on the other drives. Of course, it does depend on the size of your home folder to begin with. Here is an article to read about it, http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/01/25/how-to-move-mac-user-folder-to-another-drive/.

Another thing to consider is the size of your applications, maybe make a fusion drive?

https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/5cms1f/creating_a_diy_fusion_drive_on_macos_sierra/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.