• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ball in a cube.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
A few weeks back I say a web site that described how to turn a ball inside a cube. So, when I had a little bit of time I decided well why not try it, the worst that can happen is that I finish up with a 3 1/2" lump of fire wood?

The 1st thing was one of the more difficult bits was getting an exact, OK nearly exact, cube and off I went. Mounted on the lathe and off I went and started. I won't go into the details, too long. So this is it on the lathe

IMG_1471 by John, on Flickr

And I finished up with this

IMG_1476 by John, on Flickr

IMG_1475 by John, on Flickr

The wood is spalted wild cherry and was given to me by a French friend in the village. I was a bit wary because spalting, the start of the wood rotting and the lines are fungus, can make the wood quite unstable. But this peice was stable enough, luckly enough..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
That is amazing! As a former shop teacher - woodworking was part of my curriculum as an agriculture teacher - I can appreciate the detail, skill and patience it took to make that. My shop was next to the industrial arts teacher and he was an artist when it came to wood. He taught me so much when I was just a young whipper snapper and had no idea what a lathe was. :D

I am curious now how exactly you did it. I have had students do the cube in a cube but I am having a bit of difficulty envisioning how you worked on rounding the ball while inside the cube as it would spin.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
That is amazing!

I have something my Dad made in his wood "shop" (garage) in every room in our house, some rooms have more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
John - beautifully done, as usual - congrats! Probably a similar feeling I had having routing out my first set of finger and dovetail joints and all of the pieces fit together as expected! :) Dave

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you all.

Lisa, I did a bit of a WIP on a U.K. woodwork forum. Not complete as I only remembered part way through,

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/ball-in-a-cube-t107467.html

but the idea came from another web site, but as I really didn't want the bottle I stuck with the ball. I think it's much more tactile? I also opted out of making the difficult chuck jaws as I already had the button jaws for my scroll chuck

http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/wood-turning/projects/hollow-forms/artistic/bottle-in-a-cube/

Beautifully done too

It's always nive when it works out isn't it Dave. I have a jig for dovetails, but it's very rarely used as I don't do much joinery. I don't have enough patience for it.

We too have bits of wood in every room in the house, including the loo and bathroom. But before we moved over here it was radio controlled model gliders, but they were banned from the loo and the bathroom was too damp:eek::eek: Sharing the bedroom with a 3 metre glider wasn't a really good idea in hind sight? I say radio controlled? They were radio OK, but not always controlled :[:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
WOW, WOW and thrice WOW!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey there John...that's pretty awesome. You do great lathe work!:)

Not sure I mentioned it before...but I'm an ok lather turner myself (but if you were a level 10...I'd still be a level 1 or 2)!;) Probably the most ambitious project I've ever done was a chess set I made in high school. I like things big...so it was a big chess board & pieces. All the chess pieces were turned on the lathe.

- The board measured 3 feet x 3 feet (91cm x 91cm)...and was made from black walnut & maple.
- The king & queen were about 8 inches tall (20.3cm)...and about 2.5 inches in diameter (6.35cm). And were again made from black walnut (black pieces) and maple (white pieces).

Unfortunately it somehow got "lost to the wind" over time...I have no idea where it got to & where it is now.:(

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Phenomenal, John. Greatly impressed.

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Crikey Sue, I've wooed ladies before but this is the first time I've WOWed one ;) ;)

I've made 3 chess sets Nick, a long while back now and they are lovely to make. Mine were about 2" high and traditional Staunton pattern. I also did the board in holly and black walnut, the same as the peices. Black walnut smells like chocolate when cut or turned doesn't it. Well done and when I mitade them I would have been with you at about level 2. I ain't anywhere near 10 yet. I don't go enough for that, but I love what I do do. I was turning a spalted platan, French plane tree, this afternoon and I got a bit careless and it flew off the lathe. Just goes to show that I shouldn't take liberties or the wood lets me know!!! It wasn't a big bowl, about 6 1/2" and light weight and it will go back on tomorrow as it's a commission for a friend.

So, today isn't the first time I have had something fly past and it won't be the last, I just stand a bit to one side and watch it go past :Cool::Cool:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Alright John. I thought we had an understanding. Those of you with talent will keep things like this a secret. Otherwise, those of us without talent for such things will be exposed as fakers. More than five decades convincing everyone but my wife I'm a genius and you undid it with that picture.:Mischievous::Cool:

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SD, when I first started flying model gliders I had as much idea how to fly as a chick with no feathers, but I learned to fly my models and i also lerned that anyone who says that they are a born flyer is a born lier.

It's the same where ever you go and if you find something that you love doing then you perservier until you can. I have now been turning for over 20 years and as I said above I had a lump of wood fly off today because of a stupid infringement. That bowl is not too damaged that it won't show, just a small dent in the base, but I have had lots of bits that have started as big bits of firewood and finished up as little bits of firewood and lots of shavings :'(:'(

I've been called an artist more times than I can remember but it's been because of the glass of beer in my mit! More like an expert in my case?

definition of an expert --- an ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure :Mischievous::Mischievous::Mischievous:

For a boat load of people on here there subject is the software that we use and I for one would have sunk a few years back without that skill of yours. My skill with computers, as some know, was with the hardware side on mainframes when I worked for that tiny US company for 18 years, IBM, some of you may of heard of it? I have always said that if I can hit it with a hammer then I can fix it. Now I work with wood and love it to bits, literally sometimes :Confused::Confused:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have always said that if I can hit it with a hammer then I can fix it.
I'm saving that one for the next time someone (a.k.a SWMBO) says I cannot fix something. Always said that hitting something with a hammer, or other heavy object if no hammer was available, was a valid repair method. ;)

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My absoloute favourite is my 14 lb watchmakres hammer. Fully calibrated and I can fix anything with that:Cool::Cool:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ROTFL. I feel the sudden urge to "fix" something. Don't have that good a tool handy but I'm sure I can think of something appropriate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My absoloute favourite is my 14 lb watchmakres hammer. Fully calibrated and I can fix anything with that:Cool::Cool:

Almost close to what you possibly used to get the ball inside the block eh John??? :D

BTW, I'm a bit surprised that the splaying wooden block and ball actually held together properly, or did they… :Evil:

But some nice nice woodworking you did. Congrats.

- Patrick
======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ta Patrick.

I have to admit that there is a touch of cyano in one corner and the tiny crack appeared just after I had finished down to 400 grit abrasive. After that the hard wax oil went on, so no more now, I hope??? No, it's pretty well stable now

SD, ROTFL??? Rolling Out Terrible Farts Loudly ? You nust be in Chicago, the windy city O:)O:)O:) Never forget that if it ain't broken, don't mend it mate ;D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ta Patrick.

SD, ROTFL??? Rolling Out Terrible Farts Loudly ? You nust be in Chicago, the windy city O:)O:)O:) Never forget that if it ain't broken, don't mend it mate ;D
That is soooo much better/funnier than Rolling On The Floor Laughing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
That is soooo much better/funnier than Rolling On The Floor Laughing.

Love these acronyms and there are so MANY! Other similar ones: ROTFLOL (..Laughing Out Loud) & ROTHLMAO (..My A** Off) - :)

As mentioned by John, there are plenty for FART - see pic below (Source), although I like the one of many created by Gary Busey, i.e. F (Feeling) A (A) R (Rectal) T (Transmission) - :Cool: Dave
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 1.58.21 PM.png

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh dear! What have I started:Evil::Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@John
Not WHAT but WHIS I believe…
What Have I Started = WHIS

Oh dear is right… :[

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.