Really Need Help Copying Photo Library Back from USB Drive

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My hard drive on my Macbook Pro was playing up so I had to do a clean install of Sierra. Before doing so I copied all my photos to a USB hard drive.
I now have all the photo folders and a file saying Photos Library which itself is about 5gb.

What is the best way of transferring all this back to my Mac? Do I just copy EVERYTHING back to the Photos folder?? Or is there a smarter way to doing this?

Thanks

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I'd just copy it back - that way you'd retain your file structure and have an identical back up copy on your USB drive which you can then update whenever you upload new photos to your mac.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'd just copy it back - that way you'd retain your file structure and have an identical back up copy on your USB drive which you can then update whenever you upload new photos to your mac.

Ok thanks. Only thing I'm not sure about is there's a brand new, tiny Photos Library file in there already which is just 6.1MB. So what happens when I copy all my stuff back including my 5GB Photos Library file? Do I just overwrite it or something?

Thanks

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Is there anything in the iPhotos Library folder?

If not just copy the contents of your back up across.

If there is anything in it, is it also on your back up? If so you can just "replace" the folder with the one on your back up. If it isn't on your back up, then select the "merge" option when you're copying your back up over.

OP
T
Reaction score
Is there anything in the iPhotos Library folder?

If not just copy the contents of your back up across.

If there is anything in it, is it also on your back up? If so you can just "replace" the folder with the one on your back up. If it isn't on your back up, then select the "merge" option when you're copying your back up over.

Thanks, this all seems to have worked out well. Thanks so much for your help!

Best

T

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.