iPhone volume too low for Bluetooth

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is an old chestnut but I will roll it out again just in case something has changed.
I listen to a lot of live streaming sources on my iPhone 7 via Bluetooth to a couple of different speaker systems.
Some sources like streaming Radio, Netflix, you Tube and Spotify can have fairly low volume levels and all of the so called volume booster apps available for iOS turn out to be just equalisers and although Im not knocking the value of some of these apps to boost various frequency levels they do not increase the volume itself.

I used to have this issue with video my MBP years ago and overcame that problem with Boom 2. I run Boom 2 constantly in the background at 50% boost and adjust the overall volume with the system controls. So I don't actually listen to louder sound on my MBP but I have the option to increase the volume to audible levels when the source soundtrack is soft.

Why is there no equivalent app for iOS devices? There is if I jailbreak and there are some such apps available for Android. I had an app for Android phone which admittedly came with lots of warnings about potential hearing damage and speaker damage if used inappropriately but was terrific for a small Bluetooth speaker I had which had no built in volume controls and was otherwise so soft as to be almost inaudible for streaming radio.

I imagine that Apple does not want to cop law suits for damaged hearing and already incorporates settings in preferences to limit sound to safe levels but turning them off has little effect.
It seems to me that users should be able to make these decisions rather tham manufacturers. At the very least there should be apps available to increase system volume for specific situations like low volume on streaming media which we listen to more and more on portable devices.

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL. Smokers also made the decision to smoke cigarettes and ruin their health, but that didn't stop them from suing the big tobacco companies!

And, in case you didn't already know Rod... There is a "Boom for iOS" app that you can download. ;)

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, thanks a lot, I already have that app and have had for some time. It does not increase the system volume. It is, like other similar apps an equalizer and it is of no use to me in this instance.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you implying that commercial companies need to protect themselves from consumers who will turn around and sue them after using a product that had a user warning. Perhaps that is the way it is in a litigious society. Bit of a pity for us self determining individuals.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately Rod, here in the US we have over zealous lawyers (referred to as ambulance chasers) who advertise everywhere. It's not uncommon to be watching TV and see an ad for such and such a law firm who will represent you "pro bono". That refers to everything from certain prescribed drugs to medical procedures. One reason why Mal Practice insurance for the medical profession here in the US is the highest throughtout the western world.

Large corporations are a good target for lawyers and frivolous law suits. Not saying it's wrong to sue, but here in the US it seems like our society as you say is "litigious".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.