Early 2009 Macbook, want to add SSD with existing OS.

Reaction score
I have as mentioned an early 2009 MacBook. I have an SSD in another laptop I no longer want to use. It has a perfect version of Windows 10 on it. I would like to install this SSD in the MacBook, migrate my current OSX El Capitan to the SSD and Keep the current version of Win10. Its easy enough to use Bootcamp to add Windows 10, but this is something different. I guess I can always reinstall Windows 10 after installing OSX, but its a lot of work, is this the only way?
Also, I want to upgrade the 2gigs of ram. I've heard of mismatching 2 and 4 gigs for a total of 6, which will allow it to run a lot faster. Any info on this? Also, can I just plop 8 gigs in here?
Lastly, from what I read, I cannot install Sierra to this Macbook, its maxed out at El Capitan. Is there anything I can do for that? Or is El Capitan good enough?

Thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

What version of macOS does this SSD have on it along with Windows 10? It may be possible to upgrade without disturbing Windows 10.

And yes, your 2009 MacBook can accept 6 GB of memory. 1 x 2 GB + 1 x 4 GB = 6 GB. And no, you can not put 8 GB of memory in it.

Also, El Capitan is as high a version of macOS that you can install on that machine. No work arounds.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have as mentioned an early 2009 MacBook.

I want to upgrade the 2gigs of ram. I've heard of mismatching 2 and 4 gigs for a total of 6, which will allow it to run a lot faster. Any info on this? Also, can I just plop 8 gigs in here?

Originally Early 2009 MacBook's had a max RAM of 4gig. But later when 4gig RAM sticks were released...it was found that the combo of a 2gig + 4gig sticks of RAM worked (total 6gig). This MacBook won't recognise 8gig of RAM...and I don't think you can install 4gig + 4gig...and have it recognize 6gig.

Lastly, from what I read, I cannot install Sierra to this Macbook, its maxed out at El Capitan. Is there anything I can do for that? Or is El Capitan good enough?

That is correct. El Capitan (OS 10.11) is the max for this computer. "Is El Capitan good enough?"...gonna have to be...since it's the max OS it can run.;)

FYI on the upgrade to 6gig of RAM. The going price for this computer on eBay is about $130-$150 bucks...and I've seen some sell for under $100. The 2gig + 4gig sticks of RAM are expensive...and have been for years. Macsales.com sells this 6gig RAM upgrade kit for $99.95.

As you can see...probably doesn't make good financial sense to spend $100 for a RAM upgrade on a computer that at best is worth $150 (but probably worth less). It's an 8 year old computer...maybe time for a newer one...or keep using it as is.:)

- Nick

p.s. You could upgrade the RAM to 4gig (2gig + 2gig) for $37.99.:)

OP
X
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I did add a sig with my specs.

Here is the question - continued.

I have the SSD. I downloaded El Capitan and put it on a flash drive. I installed it on the SSD. It failed.
Did I have to format the SSD first? As I mentioned, it has Windows 10 and Linux on it. Should I go in and format the drive?
Secondly, can I use time machine and put the image on a large flash drive and somehow copy it to the new SSD? This way I don't have to reinstall everything.

Is that it? Is this why the installation failed? It did not show any reason for failing, just showing it did.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.