• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Rain, rain, rain

Reaction score
So we're just sitting around waiting for the freakin rain to stop. Who the heck named this crap Harvey anyway?
Been to work today and yesterday. That's an interesting drive in torrential rain at 4am. with bad wiper blades. Just went to Walmart to get some.
They tell us this will last til the end of the week, maybe longer. At least my house is on piers and wont flood. The yard will but not the house.
Not as bad as Houston or Corpus. Those poor people. I used to live there a while back. Glad I moved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Glad you are up on stilts. At least you have a dry place. I feel so awful for those people displaced by the flooding.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Craig... your house may be on piers, but keep in mind that your auto isn't. Be careful driving back and forth to work. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Craig - BOY, I've been watching the Weather channel since Friday - this is the most catastrophic flooding for the Houston area and coast since Noah's Ark!

Just had to check your location in Texas - appears that you're near Beaumont & Port Arthur from the map below - seems that Harvey is coming ashore again, near Lake Charles, LA; hope that it moves out quickly w/ less rain than predicted on the second image - KEEP SAFE & DRY!

Last month, we did a week-vacation on the NC Outer Banks - MANY houses up on stilts! Thinking about you and our other Texan members and citizens - best of luck. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.11.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 5.15.43 PM.png

OP
cradom
Reaction score
My house isn't on stilts, it's on piers. These are about 2 1/2ft high. Around here what we call stilts are like what beach houses are on, about 15 to 20 ft high.
chas, some of the roads don't flood as bad as I thought. And I'm in a F150 so a little higher than a car.
Lisa, yeah I really feel for Houston.
Dave, if you look just south of the center of that circle you'll see Groves. That's me!
Yeah, It's supposed to re-hit land about just east of us now so we get both sides of the storm. Wonder how Sly is doing up there in Shreveport?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My house isn't on stilts, it's on piers. These are about 2 1/2ft high. Around here what we call stilts are like what beach houses are on, about 15 to 20 ft high.
chas, some of the roads don't flood as bad as I thought. And I'm in a F150 so a little higher than a car.
Lisa, yeah I really feel for Houston.
Dave, if you look just south of the center of that circle you'll see Groves. That's me!
Yeah, It's supposed to re-hit land about just east of us now so we get both sides of the storm. Wonder how Sly is doing up there in Shreveport?

Hi Craig - yep, I read that you were up on 'piers' (even better) - stilts usually have more elevation, but I must say that their safety may be 'iffy' in a major hurricane - assume that your piers are reinforced concrete - not sure? Also, saw that 'Groves' was between the two towns that I circled, so glad that I got the locale right.

Again - hope that you get less than what is predicted on the second image in my post! I have relatives in Hot Springs, Arkansas which is on the yellow-green line similar to Sly in Shreveport. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We're about an hour south of Shreveport but doing pretty well. It rained a little Saturday night and Sunday but not really hard. Sometime yesterday we went under a flash flood watch. It's supposed to start raining harder tonight. The projections for how much rain we will get have been all over the place for the last few days.

Last I heard we were expected to get something on the order of 3" tomorrow. Schools are closed tomorrow and beyond that it will depend upon how much rain we get.

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Have fun with what's left of Harvey, I'm tired of it. Supposed to hit land again around Sabine Pass which is 16 miles south of us and head north toward you guys. So far we've had about 20 inches of rain total. Some of our schools are closed til Labor day.
And this idiot has to try and go to work again this morning...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Just take care all of you in the area! And good luck.

My only request would be can we have some, not all, of your rain pretty please? we haven't really had any rain for several weeks now. A few showers but nowhere near enough.

My biggest surprise is that we haven't seen more of the Grummand Tracker water bombers based here in Carcassonne through the summer! And thank goodness for that!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just take care all of you in the area! And good luck.

My only request would be can we have some, not all, of your rain pretty please? we haven't really had any rain for several weeks now. A few showers but nowhere near enough.
Believe me, if we could find a way to send it to you we'd gladly part with as much as you need -- and a bit more just to be generous.

If the forecast I saw this morning proves correct, the earliest we can expect a day with no rain is Friday.

Reaction score
It is raining here in the UK too... sounds like it may well be raining everywhere :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
What area are you in Oreo? If you go to your 'My Profile' up the top right-ish you can set it there. It just gives us an idea where people are living?

There's a storm brewing just south of us in the Corbier Hills. Lots of HUGE cu-nim clouds so we may be getting some of yer rain SD :Mischievous::Mischievous::Mischievous::Mischievous:

We may not get too much of the wet stuff, but we get some incredible light shows from big G ! We have 2 prevailing winds here. The Tramontane, NW, cool and dry, and the Marin, SE, off the Med and warm and damp. When the Marin is blowing and teh Tramontane starts, it tends to be stronger and it dives under the Marin, forcing it up. Then it condenses into huge clouds and the fun starts. Almost continous lightening, deafening thunder and just as one roar ! I just love to watch it and I have some cracking photos and vcideo!

Reaction score
What area are you in Oreo? If you go to your 'My Profile' up the top right-ish you can set it there. It just gives us an idea where people are living?

There's a storm brewing just south of us in the Corbier Hills. Lots of HUGE cu-nim clouds so we may be getting some of yer rain SD :Mischievous::Mischievous::Mischievous::Mischievous:

We may not get too much of the wet stuff, but we get some incredible light shows from big G ! We have 2 prevailing winds here. The Tramontane, NW, cool and dry, and the Marin, SE, off the Med and warm and damp. When the Marin is blowing and teh Tramontane starts, it tends to be stronger and it dives under the Marin, forcing it up. Then it condenses into huge clouds and the fun starts. Almost continous lightening, deafening thunder and just as one roar ! I just love to watch it and I have some cracking photos and vcideo!

No idea. Numerous areas. I need to get bought and eaten :p

Okay, joke over... I'm a private person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problems mate;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hey Craig... your house may be on piers, but keep in mind that your auto isn't. Be careful driving back and forth to work. ;)

So many cars rendered worthless in the flooding... I saw a photo of a yellow Corvette with a cover over it, but sitting in 3 ft. of water. Think of all the cars on dealers lots. Wow!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
We live in what they refer to as the WET Coast (Canadian "Wet" West Coast) but I just cannot imagine the amount of rain that Harvey has dumped on such a large area.

But luckily for many, I find it hard to believe that so many still have electric power as well as communication and cell and Internet access still working. But I hate to think about the food, water and waste water requirements. Just mind boggling!!

And the waste and cleanup is going to be horrendous and costly for everyone, and probably even affecting many Canadians.

Keep safe and well.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if auto insurance covers damage from rising water. However, I do know that without flood insurance, rising water damage to a home or property is not covered. Flood insurance is only sold thru agents of the US govt. Most private insurance companies can offer it but it has to go thru the US govt to be issued. Usually, if you live in a flood plain area, you are required to buy flood insurance if your home or property is mortgaged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I don't know if auto insurance covers damage from rising water. However, I do know that without flood insurance, rising water damage to a home or property is not covered. Flood insurance is only sold thru agents of the US govt. Most private insurance companies can offer it but it has to go thru the US govt to be issued. Usually, if you live in a flood plain area, you are required to buy flood insurance if your home or property is mortgaged.

Were you affected by this flood, where in the US are you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.