Time Capsule alternative

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I wasn't able to find anything specifically in my search.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a wireless alternative to TC for my Macs? I am happy with my current router and feel like TC is more than I need and don't want to pay for the router capability of it. Are there any wireless drives out there you would recommend for Time Machine backups?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since Apple has discontinued production of the TC and its wireless routers in general, I really can't recommend anything that's within a decent price range. I'm not particularly in favor of any kind of wireless backup because they are slow and prone to errors. Have you considered using a wired backup (external drive). I do not keep my Time Machine external drive attached at all times but only when I make a backup. I do make backups daily though using Carbon Copy Cloner to another external hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I wasn't able to find anything specifically in my search.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a wireless alternative to TC for my Macs? I am happy with my current router and feel like TC is more than I need and don't want to pay for the router capability of it. Are there any wireless drives out there you would recommend for Time Machine backups?

Hi Rob - have to agree w/ Chscag, i.e. Apple is dumping its router business (I use an older AirPort Extreme and would like to upgrade, so a future decision) and 'wireless' backup is not a great option for your primary backup(s), as already discussed - now there are many 'online backup services' (see this PC Mag Review), but speed, capacity, and costs are issues; I have 3 Mac computers (2 laptops for me & one iMac for my wife) - I do use Carbonite for her iMac as a 3rd backup for her personal files.

For myself, my main backups are to wired external HDs - Time Machine on all computers (x 2 for redundancy on the iMac & my MBPro), plus Carbon Copy Cloner for all devices (x 2 on the ones mentioned previously) - then as a 3rd assurance, Carbonite as mentioned for our iMac & an external SSD for my MBPro 'personal files' - do not have an 'off site' storage option in place, but would be suggested by many. Dave :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks to you both. I ended up buying a WD My Passport 4TB wired drive and just plug it in occasionally to update my backups. Seems to be the least complicated solution and because it's so small I can easily take it with me in case of mandatory evacuations like the one I just had because of Hurricane Irma.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.