iPhone 5: Glass Separating From Metal Frame

Reaction score

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If the phone hasn't been dropped multiple times over its life (which would not be uncommon)...and could have resulted in a bent frame. Considering it's age (iPhone 5 is 4-5 years old)...it's also possible that the battery could be swelling & forcing the glass & frame to seperate.

If your looking for a new phone...the iPhone 8 is a possibility (but could be 1-3 months from launch if rumors are true)...and even when it launches it may or may not be what your looking for (rumors say it's going to be expensive). Apple is still selling iPhone 6's and iPhone 7's...thus this is a possibility. And lastly. If the issue is just a swelling iPhone 5 battery...I replaced my iPhone 5 battery about 18 months ago for $15 bucks.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also... if a new iPhone turns out to be too expensive, check the Apple on line refurbished store. They have a number of 6s and 6s+ iPhones that have been refurbished and are like new. Apple places the reburbished phone in a new case and installs a new battery. The phones all come with Apple's one year warranty. Prices are at least 15% below retail.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, chscag.

I found a site offering battery, tools and shipping for $26, so I'll try that.

I was looking forward to upgrading to the iPhone 8, but if I don't make it that far, I may get a bottom-of-the-line item--an SE or a refurbish--and save money. I'm not a phone guy, so it doesn't matter that much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.