• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Adapting dvd player to my Eye TV unit

Reaction score
I have an eyetv hybrid unit. I have been viewing and on occasion recording shows on my IMac, early/mid 2009 unit for years. An additional option available on this unit besides connecting to an antenna coax is to the ability to connect a micro mini usb connection pigtail that has at its other end 3 rca male (red/white/yellow) connections as well as an S-video connection. (Photo provided). I have never used the option that allows me to record composite or S-video as I never had a cable having an hdmi and rca males at the other end to facilitate this. I would like to utilize this option to record from a dvd that I intend to purchase. I have seen such cables offerred on ebay but find many negatives about them. What caught my particular attention were the comments that a converter would have to be used in conjunction with the cable that wouldl convert the signal from digital to analog for it to work.

The unit has no problem playing the digital signals from the antenna. So, can I assume that such would also be the case recording from a dvd player? That's my dilemma one that I would like to resolve hefore buying one of these cables and most importantly, a new dvd player. It would seem to me that I won't have such a problem. Then again, here I am doing the prudent thing, seeking a 2nd, 3rd, etc., opinion(s). lol eyetv unit.JPG eyetv adapter.JPG

Using Imac early 2009 - El Capitan - 10-11-6

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to use the cable you show (R-W-Y S) you will an A/D converter as the signal passed thru that cable is analog not digital. Several things about most DVD players: They output an analog signal on their R-W-Y connectors and a digital signal on their HDMI or DVI output connectors. Therefore, a lot depends on which DVD player you buy - whether or not it has all types of connectors or just one type. Most modern DVD players should have both types.

Something else: You mention you're going to record from a DVD that you intend to purchase. If that DVD is copy protected, you will be unable to record anything from it regardless of what equipment you have. There are ways to record off those types of DVDs but we can't go into that here. Our rules prohibit us from discussing that.

OP
Y
Reaction score
In order to use the cable you show (R-W-Y S) you will an A/D converter as the signal passed thru that cable is analog not digital. Several things about most DVD players: They output an analog signal on their R-W-Y connectors and a digital signal on their HDMI or DVI output connectors. Therefore, a lot depends on which DVD player you buy - whether or not it has all types of connectors or just one type. Most modern DVD players should have both types.

Something else: You mention you're going to record from a DVD that you intend to purchase. If that DVD is copy protected, you will be unable to record anything from it regardless of what equipment you have. There are ways to record off those types of DVDs but we can't go into that here. Our rules prohibit us from discussing that.

Having not been in the market for any electronics these past few years, I assumed that the rca (y/r/y) connections were no more. You say they are still included in some if not all. Thank you for that information.

The cable that I showed came with the eye tv unit but I never used it. Unlike the antenna connection that I normally used, it would allow me to record from composite and s-video. The unit is a miniature television tuner and as such wouldn't it have the A/D or D/A capability built in? If I understand the theory correctly, tuners have this capability? Im not sure, and that is why I am asking before I commit myself to purchasing both a cable and a dvd player.

I have already purchased the dvd. I only wanted to copy it so that I could put it on a thumb drive to have the versatility of viewing them on both my Mac Air and Notebook that neither one has a hard drive. Hmm.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.