Cheap mac MIDI players supporting multiple simultaneous outputs? (IAC and Audio)

Reaction score
I'm making a visual arts project that plays music (via MIDI file) and performs programmatic actions in time with the music.

Currently, I open a MIDI file in Aria Maestosa, set its (single) MIDI output to "IAC Driver" (which I have enabled), and have a program I wrote sniff the MIDI events as they come in on the IAC bus, and perform actions based on those events. That part works fine and dandy.

The problem is that I can't HEAR the song at the same time as the events since Aria only grants that one solitary MIDI output; I can either listen to the song, or pipe the data to my program. But not both.

I *think* what I need is a piece of software that can synthesize MIDI file data to multiple virtual midi outputs at the same time. The only applications that do this seem to be expensive DAW's like Logic or Ableton. I need something that's between, say, $0 and $20.

I've experimented with SO MANY things to get this working, but I don't want to list them all here both for brevity, and also to keep all options open.

Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.