Delete Images while Viewing?

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been answered previously, it seems a basic question but I haven't been able to find it in a few different searches.

Is there some method within Finder, or a very simple app, which allows you to browse through a folder of photos and delete the bad ones as you go?

(I don't want to use an image management app such as Photos or Picasa. If anyone remembers them, a modern-day equivalent of Qpeg or Lview would suffice!)

Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

May I firstly confirm that this is your situation?

You have photos on your Mac, presumably in a Folder or Folders, outwith any app such as Photos. That is, you can easily find and see them using Finder?

If so, open Finder, navigate to the Folder and open it. As you click on each photo, you will see the image in miniature. If you need to view it better, hit the Spacebar and you will see it better. Hit the Spacebar again to view it in miniature. You can do that with each picture.

Find one you want to delete - Command + Backspace will delete it to Trash.

If you want to delete some consecutive pictures, click on the first, hold down the Shift key and click on the last. They will all be highlighted. Cmd + Backspace deletes all of them.

Make a mistake - look in Trash and restore from there.

I hope this is what you were looking for?

Ian

OP
O
Reaction score
Thank you very much Ian, you are correct in your assumption and it is basically what I was looking for.

It works much better in list view, in an icon view you seem to have to restart your "slide show" from the beginning whenever you delete a file.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes, you are correct and I should have drawn your attention the the various viewing options. List view serves best in this scenario.

Good.. I'm glad your helped. That's our job. Visit often.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
in an icon view you seem to have to restart your "slide show" from the beginning whenever you delete a file.

Not forgetting all the various viewing options available and also Icon View provides a slider for adjusting view size of the photo icons.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
So many people over look what you can do with Preview that came on your Mac. To do what you want you have to tell Preview you want to work on more than one picture at a time by opening a Folder with Photos, not just opening one picture. I keep Preview on the Dock and drag a folder full of photos or selection of photos to the Dock and drop on Preview. This will put all the images in the sidebar and you can right click in the side bar on an image and delete it. If the side bar doesn't show look under the "View " menu and select Thumbnails. You will find you can do a lot of other things in Preview once you start dragging folders into Preview, like rename, move, resize.

M

MacInWin

Try Cover Flow viewing. In Finder look for this inside the oval that I've added:

2017-08-16 04.56.32 pm.png

The circled option is Cover Flow and will show the content of the file (if it can) as you scroll through them. Delete what to you don't want. Sizing is adjustable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.