MS Office question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mojave 10.14.3, Late 2015, 21.5" display, 2.8ghz, 16GB
1st question here from a newbie who is converting from Windows. Am running El Capitan and have installed MS Office 20016......then read somewhere that I cannot sync my calendar from my Mac Outlook with my Outlook Calendar on my Iphone. Please someone tell me that's wrong, and how to sync them. If not, I will be terribly disappointed.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure how to do it with MS Outlook, but the Mac "Calendar.app" that's included with El Capitan will sync with the one on your iPhone when you use iCloud. Since you're new to the Mac platform you need to learn more about using iCloud. You will need an Apple ID and password before being able to use iCloud.

I will try to find out more information about syncing your Outlook calendar to your iPhone. You say you have Office 2016? Which version? I believe with an Office 365 subscription which includes Office 2016, the Office apps are included for iOS.

And... you should upgrade your version of macOS to Sierra. (10.12.6)

Just did some research about syncing the Mac Outlook Calandar to your iPhone and you are correct. It can not be done according to this Apple article.

However, as stated above, consider using the Calendar app that's included with macOS.

Let us know if we can be of more help. And welcome to our forums.

OP
Reinyrooster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mojave 10.14.3, Late 2015, 21.5" display, 2.8ghz, 16GB
chscag...thanks for taking the time to find an answer for me. First have to work on retrieving all my backed up files and getting them loaded, then I'll figure out the calendar thing.
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Cloud-based sync is becoming sort of a standard now, rather than device-to-device. Centralizing data on ~the cloud~ and accessing it from anything at anytime. To that end, MS yanked all the sync stuff out of Outlook 2016. Of course, they still have no way to fully sync anything past mail with any backend except Exchange. They are supposedly working on having MS servers act as an intermediary to allow sync with stuff like Google (as they already do with the mail app in Win10). That may not jive well with some privacy advocates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.