'Unlocked' iPhone Becomes Locked to Next SIM Card Placed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" i9 (2019) Monterey. MBP 13" (2011) High Sierra. iPhone 6S+. Canon TS5051 Printer.
I am in the U.K. and read that recent-model used iPhones, sold as unlocked, effectively become locked to the next SIM card placed into the phone. Of course this would be hugely inconvenient when travelling abroad and placing a local SIM card! I would then need to seek a local unlocking service. With my old Nokia 6310i this was never an issue. Am I worrying needlessly? Thanks.

I also read in an Amazon review that the iPhone 7 had poor wifi and cell-tower reception compared to the iPhone 6. Can anyone relate to this? The used prices of iPhone 7s, at least in England, are on the cheap side, possibly reflecting disappointment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Someone from the UK familiar with how unlocked iPhones are distributed will have to answer your question about the phone locking to the next SIM card. I can answer that in the US that is not true. A legally unlocked phone remains unlocked under our new laws.

As for your question regarding WiFi and cellular reception for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 6.... My wife has a 6s+ and I have a 7+. Both phones respond to WiFi and celluar reception the same as far as I can tell. As for the iPhone 7 prices being on the cheaper side.. it may be because they do not have a headphone jack and very little has changed between the models. Also, the iPhone 8 will be out around the end of September or sometime in October.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" i9 (2019) Monterey. MBP 13" (2011) High Sierra. iPhone 6S+. Canon TS5051 Printer.
Someone from the UK familiar with how unlocked iPhones are distributed will have to answer your question about the phone locking to the next SIM card. I can answer that in the US that is not true. A legally unlocked phone remains unlocked under our new laws.

As for your question regarding WiFi and cellular reception for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 6.... My wife has a 6s+ and I have a 7+. Both phones respond to WiFi and celluar reception the same as far as I can tell. As for the iPhone 7 prices being on the cheaper side.. it may be because they do not have a headphone jack and very little has changed between the models. Also, the iPhone 8 will be out around the end of September or sometime in October.

Thanks. Internal components may be different in iPhone 7s sold in the UK/Europe. Do you think the iPhone 8 is worth waiting for?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks. Internal components may be different in iPhone 7s sold in the UK/Europe. Do you think the iPhone 8 is worth waiting for?

Well, if you're into having the latest and greatest in iPhones, perhaps it is. Rumor has it that the iPhone 8 will be a classic since it will represent the 10th year since the iPhone was first released by Apple. Rumor also has it that some models will cost around $1000.00. A bit steep for a phone, don't you think? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Rumor also has it that some models will cost around $1000.00. A bit steep for a phone, don't you think?

Unfortunately some Canadians are already paying that absurd amount with our Canadian Looney dollar. Apple Canada site says:
iPhone 7 Plus
From $1049

Even the cheapest model is an absurd amount, at least IMHO or for my usage:
iPhone SE
From $579

No wonder Apple just reported $45+ billion in sales and $4.5 billion in their last quarter profits!!!

Gheese, as a comparison I believe the China/US sanctions against N. Korea is going to cost their country something like $1 billion. Almost pocket change to Apple's bean counters. ;P

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, looks like Harry will just get more rich in his retirement. The only stock I have Patrick is beef stock (the kind you make soup with). ;D

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have an unlocked reconditioned iPhone 7 from the UK it is currently running a local SIM from Indonesia, it is not locked to this ISP as I have tried my Australian SIM as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a maybe bit outdated article but with some updated changes as it applies to some UK users, and a bit strange situation…
Read it all here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6771477?start=0&tstart=0

And things could be different again these days or how some companies in the UK might work or do things.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, looks like Harry will just get more rich in his retirement. The only stock I have Patrick is beef stock (the kind you make soup with).

Well, I guess if some had some apple stock at least it should be good for making some nice apple cider eh??? :Oops:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I'm in the UK and have passed on both 4s and 5s phones with no locking consequences. If locking occurs that's down to the SIM provider, not the phone. All it takes is a call to the provider requesting unlocking.

The need for a local sim card when travelling is becoming unnecessary. In the EU you now pay exactly the same price for roaming/calls as you would if you were at home. Several providers include an 'at home' service for places further afield within their packages. I have one.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/telecoms-internet/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-unlock-an-iphone-2017-uk-3501427/

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an unlocked reconditioned iPhone 7 from the UK it is currently running a local SIM from Indonesia, it is not locked to this ISP as I have tried my Australian SIM as well.

Thanks. Strangely enough the article I read stated that unlocked iPhones supplied by Apple, John Lewis (Dept. Store), GiffGaff (Cell Co.) & Three (Cell Co.) would NOT permanently lock onto new SIMs but iPhones from other suppliers could. I'll have to ask the used phone company supplying me to state what their phones do. If I did get stuck (locked) abroad, wanting to place a fresh local SIM, could I get the phone unlocked simply by calling the previous mobile phone service provider in the UK? Or could a local cellphone dealer/engineer in Colombia do it more easily?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I did get stuck (locked) abroad, wanting to place a fresh local SIM, could I get the phone unlocked simply by calling the previous mobile phone service provider in the UK?

Maybe, IF you were connected and still currently using their services most likely. If not, then probably not.

Or could a local cellphone dealer/engineer in Colombia do it more easily?

I'd say that would be a bit of a crap shoot and probably depends on too many conditions.

- Patrick
======

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a maybe bit outdated article but with some updated changes as it applies to some UK users, and a bit strange situation…
Read it all here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6771477?start=0&tstart=0

And things could be different again these days or how some companies in the UK might work or do things. - Patrick======

Thanks. Seems to be a sneaky trick sometimes used by (some) mobile phone sellers to bind customers on to their own favoured contracts, hoping they don't complain or take matters further. Nasty ... and not always foreseeable.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The need for a local sim card when travelling is becoming unnecessary. In the EU you now pay exactly the same price for roaming/calls as you would if you were at home. Several providers include an 'at home' service for places further afield within their packages. I have one.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/telecoms-internet/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-unlock-an-iphone-2017-uk-3501427/

That may be a bit of a double edged sword Sue. Standardising call charges may provide convenience but what are the prices? I have a pre paid Telkomsel SIM here in Indonesia. IDR 50,000.00 which is roughly AU $5.00 is all I need for a month or more of calls and text messages. I would not want to pay EU or Australian rates for my phone here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Depends on need, doesn't it? Last week I moved onto a new, cheaper (-£2), sim only contract with my provider - £10 per month for unlimited calls and texts, 4gb data - which I think is a steal. That includes hot spot and 'at home' roaming and calls in 60 countries worldwide. I would have to pay for international calls from the UK but use WhatsApp instead. I could do a £5 a month add on but there's not the need. I don't use my landline for calls any longer due to so many spam calls but keep the handsets for emergencies as it's included in my broadband contract (£27 a month). My cellular provider could have done a broadband only contract but that was £1 a month dearer.

I don't believe any of this would be available unless you had a U.K. address.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That may be a bit of a double edged sword Sue. Standardising call charges may provide convenience but what are the prices? I have a pre paid Telkomsel SIM here in Indonesia. IDR 50,000.00 which is roughly AU $5.00 is all I need for a month or more of calls and text messages. I would not want to pay EU or Australian rates for my phone here.

Third-world SIMs should generally beat EU roaming rates for phone calls. Data tends to be slow and expensive though. Both trivial matters compared with crossing the roads of endless steel in Javanese cities.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.