• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

T-Mobile's new Senior Plan for folks 55 and over!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like T-Mobile wants to round up all us folks who are 55 and older and give us a great deal on their new Senior Plan.

You can read all about it here.

Basically they're giving unlimited everything for $60/month for two lines and that includes all taxes and fees. They do require autopay to be turned on but that's no big deal. The new plan goes into effect August 9th.

Posted this info here in the lounge because it really doesn't subject well for iOS and the iPhone forums.

I'm already a T-Mobile subscriber and will be switching to this plan on August 9th. (Yeah, OK.... so I'm over 55. LOL)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not 55 yet but I can see it from where I'm sitting and don't have to look too hard. Last time I checked though the coverage in this area wasn't as good as I'd like otherwise I'd be taking a look.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Coverage may be a drawback for some folks who live out in the boon docks. At one time T-Mobile coverage was spotty here in Texas but lately their coverage has been real good. Of course in the Dallas-Fort Worth area everyone's coverage is real good. Anyway, I'm going to take advantage of that new plan as it will save me around $25.00/month over what I'm paying now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well wouldn't you know I finally make it to the over 55 (and then some) bracket and can't get the perks. T-Mobile does not offer service in my area. I recently put in a security system from SimpliSafe and they sent me a T-Mobile unit. It could not get a signal. Checked with T-Mobile and they acknowledge I live in a limited signal area. So had to exchange it for a Verizon unit and all was good.

I can use Verizon or Sprint and neither have super strong service. Sigh.....

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Purely as an observer, its interesting that people over 55 are deemed "senior ".

I'm not in any way objecting (I'm well over 55 myself).

It just seems odd that as we are all living longer and, in the UK at least, are required to work till our late sixties before our pension kicks in - many of our citizens will have been enjoying senior status for perhaps 13 or more years before they can retire.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Purely as an observer, its interesting that people over 55 are deemed "senior ".

It's all about making money.;) T-Mobile (the cellphone service in question)...probably "crunched" the number's...and found that offering this sort of cell plan to the 55 and up age group made sense financially (the company would make money). After they did this...then they needed to put a "label" to this plan...and "Senior" was probably the label they agreed on (best "label" they could think of). Lol

If they had crunched the numbers in a different way (let's say a 50 and over group...or a 45 & over age group...etc.)...they most likely would have had to come up with a different "label".

Of course many/most of the T-Mobile sales & marketing employee's in charge of this project are all probably under 40 (the Marketing folks might be even under 35 or even 30)...so I guess "55" sounds "senior" to them. Lol

This "senior" label also fits psychologically in with a number of other things in the United States:

- Folks that have done well financially (investments, employment, etc.)...55 is one of the "magical" numbers when these folks consider taking early-retirement. So I guess at first glance...anyone that is retired then falls into the "senior" category (at least to younger folks working for a cellphone service company trying to come up with "label" for a 55+ cellphone plan).;)

- You may have heard of AARP (American Association of Retired Person's). It's a private company that offers all sorts of plan's, insurance, and discounts for retired person's. Minimum age to be eligible to join AARP is 50. So again...the greater population's "age association" with the words "age", "retired", "senior", etc....keeps getting pushed downwards (younger & younger).

- Lots of stores, restaurants, vacation destinations, national parks, museum's, public transportation, etc....have reduced rates for retired person's. Usually you need to be around 60-65 to qualify for these discounts. So I guess if a "discounted" cellphone plan is targeted at older individuals (55 and up)...I guess the term "senior" can apply (since that group would include lot's of folks in thier 60's, 70's, 80's, etc.).

Again...it's really all about making money. This company (T-Mobile) dreamt up an age-associated cellphone plan for individual's 55 and over...and needed to come up with a "label" to "paste" on the plan.;) And "senior" was the best they could do. In 6-12 months this plan will probably disappear or change to something else...and then the new cellphone plan's the company dream's up will get a different "label". Lol

My 2 cents,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.