Tranferring files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC with an M1 chip &16 GB Memory
When I purchased my Mac I had the dealer transfer a lot of files from my Windows based computer. I am now trying to open some of them and I am unable to do so. There are 2 file extensions I am unable to work with and they are
.cpgz and .ods What am I doing wrong and why can't I open them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
I believe .ODS is a spreadsheet that comes from OpenOffice. You may need to install OpenOffice to open it and convert to another format.

The .CPGZ file would typically by a compressed "Copy In, Copy Out" backup file (CPIO). In MacOS, however, a .CPGZ file will sometimes be the result of trying to open a .ZIP file. Given what you described above, my guess is that the person that transferred your files did so by creating a large "ZIP" file on the Windows machine and then copying -it- over to the Mac. The Mac likely didn't understand the actual compression routine that was used to create the ZIP file in the first place and double-clicking it results in the .CPGZ file that you get.

Presuming that you did this somewhat recently, you could consider reaching back out to the person that did the transfer and having him do it again WITHOUT compressing the content first. You could also look for a different compression program like 7-Zip for the Mac to see if it would open the compressed file correctly.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@timkins

The Unarchiver App for Mac lists .cpgz as a format it can open - less sure about .ods. It is FREE.

It can be found here: https://theunarchiver.com

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@timkins

The Unarchiver App for Mac lists .cpgz as a format it can open - less sure about .ods. It is FREE.

It can be found here: https://theunarchiver.com

Ian

The issue is likely that it wasn't a CPGZ to begin with. It's a side effect, if you will, of trying to decompress a file that was originally created on another system with an archiver format that the Mac doesn't understand.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Ah, okay, understood, Ember. It was just a thought:)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, okay, understood, Ember. It was just a thought:)

Ian

Ian, I should have added to my previous post that using the product you linked to might be a good option for trying to decompress the original ZIP file, too, though (still assuming that's where this file came from). Bad on me for missing that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.