Mac Pro 2008 does not turn on. Options?

Reaction score
My Mac Pro early 2008 is not turning on, after some years of uneventful service. It makes a soft clicking sound a few seconds after pressing the power button, but the light does not come on. No other sounds.
A repair person said (based on the above narrative and without looking at the machine) that it was not worth repairing. ("Too old.") Asked for $89 to extract some files from the hard drive and put them on my storage device.
I would like opinions on the feasibility of repairing the computer. If it is not worth doing it, what is the best way to dispose of it?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks. As I understand it, one option would be to get a caddy and use the hard drive as an external hard drive. Another would be to replace the power supply with a unit such as the one on eBay. (Reading the comments to the the instructions on ifixit, it seems to be beyond my level of expertise to replace it myself.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
100% agree with what Harry mentioned. The power supply on the Mac Pro very likely needs to be replaced...and no way you should pay $89 for a repair to do what needs to be done to get files. Purchase an external hard drive housing...and plug it into another computer to access the files.

Reading the comments to the the instructions on ifixit, it seems to be beyond my level of expertise to replace it myself.

What better time to learn!:) The instructions & photos on iFixit.com are VERY good & step by step.

If you don't do it yourself...here are the most likely options:

1. If a repair person was going to charge you $89 to simply extract some files from your hard drive...how much do you think they would charge to replace the power supply??...BIG BUCKS!:(
2. If you don't get this computer working...then what's your other option...spending BIG BUCKS on a used or new computer.

Your 2008 Mac Pro is probably worth about $250-$300...so paying a repair person to fix it would probably cost very close to that amount with parts & labor. If you've been on the market for a newer used computer or a new computer...then this of course would be a great time to do it.:)

But if you've been happy with this 2008 Mac Pro...and it still does what you need it to do...then fix it yourself. If it's currently not working...and paying a professional to do it would seem to be cost prohibitive...then try fixing it yourself...what do you have to loose?? Otherwise what you have is a 42 pound doorstop!;)

Used replacement power supplies cost around $30 on ebay (new cost more of course). Get yourself one...get yourself some tools...follow the ifixit.com procedure...and give it a shot!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Remember the internal disk drive, formatted for Mac, will only work with Mac computers. So you will need another Mac to read, and get your files off of it. However, there are software alternatives that will allow you to read from the Mac formatted drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you everybody. You have been very helpful. Repair shop charges $99/hr and they estimated less than one hour to replace the power supply. I will take a longer look at the ifixit instructions before plunging in.
My imac from way back then is working fine, as well as my Early 2006 MacPro and my Late 2013 MacPro. Never a significant failure. Some occasional quirkiness... Thanks again.

OP
J
Reaction score
Fixed and running! Used power supply from eBay was $100. Repair shop charged $36 for the replacement. harryb2448 and pigoo3's diagnosis was free and accurate. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahhh Jesse you are a right smart fellow.

Keep coming back there is much to glean here, and never be afraid to ask a question. There are no silly questions, just some silly answers from time to time!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.