• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

G5 dvi connection problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5
When I connect the G5 DVI to Video Adapter, my cinema display which is usually at 1680 x 1050 zooms in to 480 or bigger. The display on the TV looks great but my desktop looks terrible, too big. Apple told me that I have to manually connect and disconnect the dvi adapter. Is there a way to have my default resolution on my desktop while being connected to the tv? Is there a toggle that shuts on and off the dvi port? Thanks,
Chip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
When connecting a second display (monitor or TV), you have two possibilities, mirroring and screen spanning.

Mirroring means it shows the exact same thing on both screens, while screen spanning extends your desktop from one screen to the other.
Screen spanning allows a different resolution for each screen, while mirroring automatically puts both displays on the same resolution, which is always the one of the screen with the lower resolution (in your case, the TV).
That, on the other hand, makes everything look bigger on your monitor.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5
So if my tv is lower resolution, which it is, there's nothing I can do except unplug the connection manually?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.