Power Bank with iPhone (charging the powerbank itself)

Reaction score
I've purchased a PB-100 Powerbank so that I can take my iPhone 5 away on bike trips.
The instructions show that the powerbank can be charged from a USB socket connected to a laptop and this I've done.
However, I won't be taking my MacBook with me on my bike!
I've tried charging it (as I would at a hotel) using the iPhone's (continental) two-pin adaptor. However, I must say that the little adaptor does get rather hot.
The adaptor is marked Input 100-240v - 50/60 Hz 0.3A; the output is given as 5.0V - 2.1A
The instructions say merely, "connect the charging cable of the powerbank to a power outlet via an AC adaptor"
So is the standard iPhone AC adaptor man enough for the job?
I'm just a little worried about how it's getting rather hot.
Thanks in advance.
M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Generally Power Banks require a larger capacity charger. Even though the iPhone power adapter charger should work, it will get hot due to the current draw. You probably should use a larger charger adapter to charge up the Power Bank.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks 'chscag' for your reply.
As ever, your help is greatly appreciated and I'll look around for a possible alternative.
M

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you have lots of electronic items that need daily charging like many of us do (phones, iPads, powerbanks, etc.). A great thing to get is a USB charging station. Many to choose from. Something like this:

Charging Station.JPG

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, Nick.
That's a neat idea. At present I have AC adaptors in sockets all over the house ... wherever I can find one that's not in use and easy to reach.
I'll look out for such a charging station when I'm next in town.
I've bought the little PowerBank exclusively for weekend-away bike trips and the like. I'm trying it out for the first time: it's topping up my wife's iPad mini that was at 70% when I started about an hour ago. Ahah ... just looked and the iPad is at 100% and the PB is still showing 4 LEDs.
I'll now see how it gets on with my older iPad, which is down to 13%.
M

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, further to my last, I've been giving the poor little PB-100 a hard time. Three of its four LEDs were glowing when I started charging my iPad (it was at 13% at that time) and the iPad reached 100% four hours later. At that time just one of the LEDs was on. All in all, this doesn't seem bad because you're really supposed to turn off a device while it's being charged ... although to be fair, they were left on stand-by. I just wanted to keep an eye on the percentages. For my purpose (topping up an iPhone when I'm away on my bike for a day), this seems fine and good value for 11€. (There are two output sockets - one for the likes of an iPad and the other for an iPhone.) What's more I've found a fabric pouch that came with some sunglasses and the PB-100 fits perfectly into this.
M

OP
M
Reaction score
Having totally discharged the PB-100, I set about recharging it. First I tried the adaptor that came with my wife's iPad mini: this was painfully slow and must have taken over 12 hours. I have three AC adaptors: the aforesaid one from the iPad Mini; one from an iPhone 5 and another - a non-Apple device. The latter is the only one that has its spec printed on the side, namely Input 100-240v - 50/60 Hz 0.3A; the output is given as 5.0V - 2.1A. (BTW apologies for the error in my first post - that adaptor was not the official Apple iPhone one but rather the non-Apple device.)

Does anyone know the spec for my two Apple chargers (for the iPad mini and for the iPhone 5)? How do they compare with the non-apple device? Are they identical? Presumably to speed up the charge to the PB-100 I should be looking for something that can deliver more 2.1A. But it's a trade-off - more about weight and bulk than price - on the basis that I'll need two chargers for a bike trip: one to charge the iPhone overnight at a hotel and the other to recharge the PB-100. To speed up the overnight recharging of the PB-100 should I be looking for an adaptor that will deliver around 3A? Does this sound feasible given my requirements?
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is a lot of pro and con about using heavy duty fast chargers (3A and more). I've read where fast charging some devices such as your iPhone or iPad can actually reduce the life of its battery. And with some chargers there may be a danger of overheating. That of course is mostly a danger with cheap fast chargers. I really have no idea whether your PB-100 can stand up to a heavy duty fast charger. It depends on its internal protective circuitry.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments.
On balance, I can live with the 2.1A charger and will continue on this basis.
M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.