newbie confused with mac network setup

Reaction score
hello! i know a good deal about PC's but literally nothing about macs. it seemed like an easy job to set up a mac network (in this case, adding a new macbook to an existing macbook already hooked to an airport time capsule), but there are a few snags i'm hoping you folks can help with. it seemed easy enough to set the permissions, but for some reason the new mac's access to the folders on the time capsule is still greyed out. as the pic shows, how do i get the new mac permission to get to those greyed out choices for opening/saving files? what didn't i do correctly? it seems like i need to address the new mac's access to the time capsule, but can someone hold my hand through this?

thanks for the knowledge!
berbes IMG_20170725_110336zzzz.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Have you tried going into System Preferences> Sharing and turning on the files you want to share.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hello Gandalph. I thought it was that easy as well. using youtube -- great resource -- i was able to find all that info and thought I did it correctly, but I guess the better question to you folks would be, how to grant access for the new mac to the airport, as I believe that's the hangup. Is it a matter of simply going back to preferences/sharing again, or is there a better way to connect the new mac to the time capsule files? THANKS for your time, Gandolph.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't see any mounted drive icons on your Desktop so you may want to get them to show using the Finder(menu) Preferences > Show these items on the desktop, and check Hard disks and External disks.

Then you may also need to use Get Info on the mounted drive volumes and check the "Ignore ownership on this volume" checkbox.

PS: Time Capsules don't seem to like working as normal drive volumes IMHO and experience. Nor with any USB drives attached to the TC quite often and can be a real PITA.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.