MacBook Pro Retina Mic

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm not new to using Mac but new to the forums! I'm Ben, 25 from the UK.

I have a MacBook Pro Retina that I bought brand new last year.

I'd like to start doing some videos for Uni and I've been looking at those USB microphones on Amazon. Does anyone use one or can anyone point me in the right direction of a good microphone. One that I can use in Skype meetings too?

Thanks for the advice!
Ben

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Moved thread to better area. Not a "Switcher Hangout" question if you're not new to Mac's.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you looking at headset mics or some of the desktop type mic?

Several years ago I was using a Logitech headset mic but was really disappointed with the durability of the unit I had Newer units may be better.

I am currently using this mic for some of my recordings. It plugs directly into a Mac usb port and does not need any drivers. If you check around a bit you may find it for under $100.00. There are several configurations of this mic out there. I have the kit pictured in the link but there is also a kit which contains a shock mount. I think that mic is also available in an XLR configuration. That would require either a mixer, audio input, or possible special cable to connect directly to the Mac.

I have also seen good reviews about the Blue Snowball and Yeti mics.

Some mics also advertise that they come with recording software or the ability to download such software. I'd pay no attention to this unless it gives specific details about the software. Often it is either Windows only or just junk. You can often accomplish the same things using Garageband.

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry Nick - thanks for moving it!

@Slydude - thanks for the reply! I've seen loads of different ones. I've some of those Desktop ones, on eBay for around £20.00. I don't need it for anything special just for speech really. I've seen the Yeti ones and they look fantastic but a little to expensive for what I need (at the moment). I didn't now if anyone had used some of the ones you get like this.

Thanks again for the replies! :)

P.S sorry if the link hasn't hyperlinked into the word I asked it to!

Ben

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.