External monitor causing shutdown

Reaction score
I have an older MacBook Pro (2011) and when I try and use an external monitor the system shuts down 3 - 5 times each day. No error message shutdown and reboots.

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

The 2011 MBP had a known graphic card problem that Apple extended the warranty to cover. But that ended last December. Did you get your MBP serviced under that warranty?

Anything in the console logs about the shutdowns?

OP
R
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

The 2011 MBP had a known graphic card problem that Apple extended the warranty to cover. But that ended last December. Did you get your MBP serviced under that warranty?

Anything in the console logs about the shutdowns?

Nothing I could fine and no I was not aware of card issue

M

MacInWin

OK, it *could* be the GPU, which is on the motherboard. Or it could be overheating. With no error messages, it's going to be pretty hard to figure out what's going on.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a note, the GPU issue was only with the 15" and 17" models. The 13" had an Intel Integrated Graphics and was not affected. Which size is the screen on your MBP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.