SD card help needed urgently

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've had a whole lot of difficulty trying to import some photos from an sd card through a card reader on my macbook air. I used an olympus omd to take the photos and i set the camera to take JPEGs. I have used this sd card and reader before with absolutely no trouble at all. the problem now is that whenever i plug in my card reader with the card in, and i go to 'remote disk' under devices, the page is blank and when i try to look at information about the remote disk, it is also blank. i also get a blank page when i try to view the photos on the photos app on the mac. I'm extremely frustrated by this and it has happened to me the past couple if times that I've tried to use this card and reader. it's not a problem with the card or reader because my dad tried it on his four year old windows 8 laptop and he had no trouble with the card or the reader, this rules out the card or the reader being at fault. does anybody have any solutions to this problem? I'm really perplexed. up until now, the macbook has been fantastic and great to work and edit photos on but now it can't even acknowledge that a remote disk has been plugged in and i can't view the files on the mac both in finder and photos when its plugged in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi everyone, I've had a whole lot of difficulty trying to import some photos from an sd card through a card reader on my macbook air. I used an olympus omd to take the photos and i set the camera to take JPEGs. I have used this sd card and reader before with absolutely no trouble at all. the problem now is that whenever i plug in my card reader with the card in, and i go to 'remote disk' under devices, the page is blank and when i try to look at information about the remote disk, it is also blank. i also get a blank page when i try to view the photos on the photos app on the mac. I'm extremely frustrated by this and it has happened to me the past couple if times that I've tried to use this card and reader. it's not a problem with the card or reader because my dad tried it on his four year old windows 8 laptop and he had no trouble with the card or the reader, this rules out the card or the reader being at fault. does anybody have any solutions to this problem? I'm really perplexed. up until now, the macbook has been fantastic and great to work and edit photos on but now it can't even acknowledge that a remote disk has been plugged in and i can't view the files on the mac both in finder and photos when its plugged in.

Hello Telejm - welcome to the forum! :) You need to provide us w/ more information: 1) Does you MBAir have a SD slot (mine does - so why do you need a 'card reader'); 2) Provide more information on your MBAir (go to the Apple left upper menu item - select 'About This Mac' and tells us the macOS installed and the year made); 3) Have you tried another SD card in the Apple laptop; and 4) Have you 'Shut Down & Restarted' the computer? If you have important photos on the SD card then back the images up on another device, i.e. your father's PC or an attached device to his computer (USB drive, SD card, or other). Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just to add to what Dave has said, maybe try using the Image Capture.app and see if it can "see" anything.

- Patrick
======

OP
T
Reaction score
Hello Telejm - welcome to the forum! :) You need to provide us w/ more information: 1) Does you MBAir have a SD slot (mine does - so why do you need a 'card reader'); 2) Provide more information on your MBAir (go to the Apple left upper menu item - select 'About This Mac' and tells us the macOS installed and the year made); 3) Have you tried another SD card in the Apple laptop; and 4) Have you 'Shut Down & Restarted' the computer? If you have important photos on the SD card then back the images up on another device, i.e. your father's PC or an attached device to his computer (USB drive, SD card, or other). Dave

early 2015 macbook air 11- inch running OS X el capitan.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@telejm:

Did you try the suggestion offered by member "pm-r" in post # 3? Open your "Image Capture.app" and attach your card reader with the SD card inserted. If Image Capture does not "see" the card, then you have other problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Have you recently updated the OS on your MBA? A non-Apple card reader I had for my iPad stopped working after an OS change (Nov 2015 so can't remember which update). You may need another card reader which is compatible with your current OS. Other I know had the same experience.

I chose to buy a wifi card (and then another camera with wifi capability!).

OP
T
Reaction score
I know this might sound like a ridiculous question, but what is the image capture app? I'm not sure what it is or how to access it

OP
T
Reaction score
I just tried the image capture app, it didn't show up. I took more photos on the card today after managing to import some last night but it took a while and my photos app seemed to glitch out when I tried it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Could be the card was formatted in a way the Mac can't read. I know my cards show up differently depending upon whether I format them on my Mac, or with my Nikon. Also, sometimes cards act screwy if I delete the files in my Mac -vs- deleting them via the camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.