Sign in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
I'm not used to locking down my computer. I really don't like having to use a password very time I walk back to the laptop because I took a short break.

Seems I had to put one on this unit.

Does it require this? Can I remove it?

M

MacInWin

You really should use it, if for no other reason than to remember it. You have to have a password to install any software or updates to the system (that's for your protection).

But, if you don't want to use it, even though you have to have it, open System Preferences, Users and Groups, click on the padlock icon, enter your password (see, you need it), and then Login Options and in the top box, labeled "Automatic login:" change it to the user you want automatically logged in. Now go back to the System Preferences screen and on the Security and privacy tab, General options, again click the padlock, provide a password, uncheck the "Require password..." box and the "Disable automatic login" box.

Done. You now have zero password protection, but you'll need to remember the password because it's still there (you have to have one) and you will eventually need it to install software/updates.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There is another alternative to removing the password entirely. Go to System Preferences>Security and Privacy and select the General tab. If you uncheck the very first box I believe it sets things so that you no longer need the password to unlock the screen. You could also use the drop down to allow more time to pass before the password is required. The settings range from a few minutes to several hours.

That's usually a much better option than disabling a password entirely for two reasons:
1. Running with no password is like parking your car and leaving the key in the ignition of your car. Anyone can get in and cause all kinds of problems once they have physical access to the machine.
2. As Jake pointed out having to enter the password periodically is a good memory aid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What I would recommend, is to use a separate Standard user account, and use Automatic login to go to the Standard user account. And only use the Administrator account for maintenance and troubleshooting

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
What I would recommend, is to use a separate Standard user account, and use Automatic login to go to the Standard user account. And only use the Administrator account for maintenance and troubleshooting

I actually just saw that, or maybe paid attention to it. As long as all programs run, that's a great alternate!

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
There is another alternative to removing the password entirely. Go to System Preferences>Security and Privacy and select the General tab. If you uncheck the very first box I believe it sets things so that you no longer need the password to unlock the screen. You could also use the drop down to allow more time to pass before the password is required. The settings range from a few minutes to several hours.

That's usually a much better option than disabling a password entirely for two reasons:
1. Running with no password is like parking your car and leaving the key in the ignition of your car. Anyone can get in and cause all kinds of problems once they have physical access to the machine.
2. As Jake pointed out having to enter the password periodically is a good memory aid.

We can all use memory aids..LOL! Well at least at my age I can!

I'll look at that. Dropping for for 10-15 minutes and having to jump back on, I find this password to be a pain, and I don't want any pains.. especially at my age. Again LOL!

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
It was set to 5 minutes..Good God Mon.. Just reset it. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.