Updating MacBook Pro VS. Buying a new one?!

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a MacBook Pro in 2012. Here are its specs:

500 GB SATA Disc HD: (186 GB available.)
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

macOS Sierra
version 10.12.5

I've cleaned it up and updated it but it's still running very slow. I'm starting a new job next week which will require a fast computer for opening documents, organizing files, running videos, and some pretty heavy music editing.

The exterior of the computer is in good shape and I quite like the older models having all the ports and a CD drive built in.

Which is the better option?;

A) Get a big update on the computer: 1TB SSD HD, upgrade RAM, and put in a new battery.

Or,

B) Buy a new MacBook Pro.

Budget is around $1500 tops. The new Apple computers seem quite pricey for even the lowest spec models and I'm not keen on the lack of ports. I'd also need at least 500GB HD space and would probably need to expand that at some point.
I'm thinking that updating my old machine may be the way to go... but I also don't want to spend a load of money to find that the machine is simply too old and will have problems adjusting to updates and new operating systems.

Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

-Tom.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

The RAM upgrade is a good thing and if you need additional storage, you might go external SSD (can go up to 3TB I believe these days). However, the bottleneck is still going to be the processor that you cannot upgrade. You don't say whether you 2012 MBP is 13" or 15", but you can definitely get a refurbished 2015 model MBP at 13" for less than $1500. This will get you the newer generation of processors that are going to be more performant..

OP
K
Reaction score
Appreciated! - It's a 13" , but I think if I were to go 'all-in' on a new computer I would consider the 15" as I much prefer this size. (I realize this will push things WAY over budget)

Is there a big difference between 2015 processors and 2017 processors?

Although I'd like to stay on budget, I'm also looking for the soundest and most economical investment - long term.

Thanks Again!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Almost every generation of the MBP has been upgrading to the newer generation of the processors. The 2015 is on Haswell, 2016 on Skylake and 2017 on Kabylake. Those are the 4th, 6th and 7th generation of processors. The newer processors are packed with more transistors and capable of performing more actions within the same time as the older models. If you were to take a 2.5GHz Haswell, Skylake and Kabylake processor, the Kabylake is likely about 40-50% faster than the Haswell and about 20% faster than the Skylake.

You can checkout the Geekbench scores (which primarily tests CPU performance) to get an idea.

I had a 2012 2.2GHz 15" MBP and upgraded to a 2016" 15" MBP and the overall performance is quite nice, with the faster CPU, faster SSD..

Going all-in on a later 15" model will run over $2k..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Going all-in on a later 15" model will run over $2k..

Sounds like a lot of cash, but I remember paying close to that price for a 12" Compaq notebook which at that time (early circa 1990s) was top of the line. You get a heck of a lot more for your bucks now. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.