changed fan speeds on MacBook Pro Santa Rosa- how to change back again?

Reaction score
Hello all, I have, in a moment of madness and frustration, changed the fan speeds on my old MacBook Pro Santa Rosa (2.4ghz 15") to make them run at full speed. I did this using a command I read about on line, because my old MacBook Pro runs very hot all the time and shuts itself down if it gets too hot.
I really just want to be able to boot it up to see what I need to delete/copy from the hard drive. It would be great to get it going again, but I don't hold much hope.
Now when I turn it on, it shows no lights at the front and goes into the grey start screen (with moving bar at bottom) and stays there, but will not boot up further. Eventually the fan/s kick in and start attempting to cool it (still full speed I think, and possibly only one working now).
So, how can I reset the fans prior/at start up to see if it will boot further, and if it is not salvageable, is it possible to mount the drives in an external caddy etc to retrieve data?
Thanks so much for your time - apologies if post is too long :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It's difficult to say what has failed, but if I had to make a guess... the graphics chip probably has failed (common problem in that machine). That means a new logic board if you want to get it going again. And yes, you can remove the hard drive and place it in a SATA external enclosure to get your data off it. Or you can use an adapter. OWC (www.macsales.com) sells the adapter.

BTW, that machine is a dinosaur. You don't want to spend a lot of time and $$ on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you Bob, your help is appreciated. I'll try this just for kicks and if not dump drive into an enclosure.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hello chscag, thanks for your reply: I have a feeling you are right about the graphics chip too from what I have been told by a few friends.
Your point about the dinosaurs was well made, and I have actually bought a new iMac last week so it's really just to learn a little and salvage some old photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.