Mac OS 9.1 Question on updates

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an old Mac OS 9.1 laptop that I'm hoping to upgrade to be able to get internet and play videos.
Does anyone know what the best updates would be? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

What is the exact details of the Macbook that you have? That's the detail we need to be able to tell you what you can do with it. The likely answer is going to be to upgrade to a recent/decent machine..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Moderator Ashwin says time for a newer computer. OS 9.1 ran on old G3 and G4 computers in the main, last century. I would suggest never taking an unprotected machine like that on to the 'net these days.

OP
Z
Reaction score
ROM 7.9.1 memory 320 mb ... on the bottom of the mac it says model number M6497 Rated 24Vdc 1.875A Max.
I'm not sure what specific details you need. I realize it's pretty old, but I was hoping to give it a try.

OP
Z
Reaction score
As Moderator Ashwin says time for a newer computer. OS 9.1 ran on old G3 and G4 computers in the main, last century. I would suggest never taking an unprotected machine like that on to the 'net these days.

By unprotected, do you mean you can't protect a computer this old? No updates of anything?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That machine is likely a iBook G3 and is about 15 years old. The machine can run at the most OS X 10.4 Tiger. No recent browser will work on anything short of OS X 10.10 Yosemite. That machine is totally not worth spending any money on since it will never be usable with any recent software or connect to recent iDevices..

It's a nice relic to have around and admire, but that's about it..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,
I have an old Mac OS 9.1 laptop that I'm hoping to upgrade to be able to get internet and play videos.
Does anyone know what the best updates would be? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Any Apple computer that is capable of running OLD Classic OS 9.1...very likely shouldn't be on the internet for at least three reasons:

- It will be ungodly slow.
- Many websites will not be compatible with the OLD OLD internet browser this computer will be running (you will get all sorts of "browser is outdated" messages).
- This computer will be very vulerable to lots of malware.

But to make a more informed determination...we need to know what exact model computer this is...and how exactly you intend to upgrade it (what OS version do you intend on running). But very likely it is too old for effective & safe internet use.

* Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.