Running Microsoft OS on my Mac Book Pro

Reaction score
Allo!!!,

I have a Mac Book Pro 16G RAM with 1TB on SSD 2013. So far i have used only 286GB. Can i run Windows without slowing down my system's speed and performance?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You have two methods of running Windows on your machine. 1) Virtualization through VMWare Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox which means that both OS' are running at the same time. CPU intensive apps on one side will affect the other side. 2) Boot Camp where you natively install Windows on your machine and boot into the OS you want to work on. Downside is that you have reboot to get into OS X or Windows, no easy switching, the upside is that the full resources (CPU, memory) is available to each running OS..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Or even more simply Office 2016 for the Mac.

For mine I still use Office 2011 with no problems whatsoever. The secret is to keep Office up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Or even more simply Office 2016 for the Mac.

For mine I still use Office 2011 with no problems whatsoever. The secret is to keep Office up to date.

For the price of Crossover and now seeing it works, just not certain Mac's version will bring over 'everything' without re-building.. We've spent too much time building this this software in Excel.. For smaller dollar, I get the program and see it works..
Mac Office have a trial to see what it does?

You have to tell me. I'm still trying to figure this out
Really not into buying all new software if I don't have to. Also not into going through partitioning my drive to run..

Just an option I see as viable.

Again you folks tell me.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the price of Crossover and now seeing it works, just not certain Mac's version will bring over 'everything' without re-building.. We've spent too much time building this this software in Excel.. For smaller dollar, I get the program and see it works..

Really not into buying all new software if I don't have to. Also not into going through partitioning my drive to run..

Just an option I see as viable.

Again you folks tell me.

Office for Mac has the same capabilities as Office for Windows, not sure what you are really asking..

I use Office for Mac and can load documents created on the Windows versions of the Office applications just fine..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Microsoft Office for the Mac has been able to import Excel files from Windows for almost 20 years. And any glitches there may have been early on have been ironed out MANY years ago!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Thank you guys! Appreciate the input. I'm going to see how this Crossover holds up cause so far it's doing the deed. I've brought over the entire Office Suite and my favorite Windows PDF take-off Software and working great. $39.95 for the Crossover Software and I hear if you wait to the end of the free trial, they offer a discount on that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If Crossover + Windows version of MS Office gets the job done for you...hey...no reason to spend more $$$ on the Mac version of Office.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Kinda where I'm at right now pigoo3!
I figure there are a few more I may want to bring over and for that price... Why not!

If it goes sideways, I'll report back and let you all know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just as an FYI. There are a couple free MS Office-like apps out there for the Mac if you wanted to check them out. They are pretty powerful...but not as "full-blown" as the real MS Office (they can import MS Office files). They are called "Open Office" and "Libre Office".:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Just as an FYI. There are a couple free MS Office-like apps out there for the Mac if you wanted to check them out. They are pretty powerful...but not as "full-blown" as the real MS Office (they can import MS Office files). They are called "Open Office" and "Libre Office".:)

- Nick

I know those from my Linux days of trying to save an old PC.. They're very good, yet really don't stack up.

I work with another group that is worldwide and do a lot of spreads for them in Libre. It is a very easy to share worldwide.

Thank you for the advise

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apache's web page only lists Lion-Yosemite as supported versions of OS X.

I'm wondering if that info page hasn't been updated since Yosemite by the developers.

According to Roaringapps.com...OpenOffice is compatible will all recent Mac OS versions...including the not yet released Mac OS 10.13 "High Sierra":

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 9.21.16 AM.png

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If an app works on Yosemite, it will in all likelihood work fine on versions of macOS that came after that..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.