Word permissions error when saving

Reaction score
If I try to save any Word document to a folder on a server (at work), I get the following error:

"Word cannot save this document due to a naming or permissions error on the destination volume"

The file then turns into a .tmp file. If I do a SAVE AS and replace the file, then it works fine. I have confirmed I have full read/write access to the folders as this only happens with Word and no other program. My tech support has confirmed my permissions and even uninstalled/reinstalled Office for Mac. Still no luck.

I am on a Macbook Pro running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Can you provide us with a sample of a document file name? Also, what kind of server are you trying to save the document to?

One thing you want to make sure of is that you are using a legal file name such as "my document.docx", and that the document name remains intact when trying to save it to the folder on your server.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.