iphone 7 charging issue

Reaction score
I put my iPhone 7 to charge at 11:38 am at 22% and at 4:04 pm it ended charging also the apple smart battery case was charging. both charging 10W iPad charger at the same time is this normal ??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if that's normal, but you shouldn't allow your iPhone 7 to drop below 50% charge before re-charging it. Not good for the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I don't know if that's normal, but you shouldn't allow your iPhone 7 to drop below 50% charge before re-charging it. Not good for the battery.

The battery performance on my new 7 is much better than the old 5s but I still dip below 50% most days, normal use being some photography, uploads and web browsing. What happened to letting them drain fully occasionally?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The battery performance on my new 7 is much better than the old 5s but I still dip below 50% most days, normal use being some photography, uploads and web browsing. What happened to letting them drain fully occasionally?

Letting batteries drain fully is OK for Ni-Cad batteries but not the newer batteries that are used in iPhones and also MacBook Pros. (Li-ion battery) Actually, keeping your battery topped off is better for it and will last longer. I usually recharge my 7+ when it gets down to around 50%. I'm not a heavy iPhone user so my battery will last 3 days (the phone is mostly on standby) before it needs to be recharged. My wife who is on her 6s+ throughout the day recharges her phone every 24 hours or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

In my mind, lithium ion battery advice regarding charging, discharging, cycle preservation, etc. remains confusing. A few years ago I put together the list quoted below from a several sources, but mostly HERE; some comments: 1) No memory effect - thus complete discharges not needed - that along w/ the item above led to replacement of all of my cordless tools in the workshop w/ Li-Ion ones; 2) Handles hundreds..cycles - Apple claims that on its iDevices and laptops the battery should maintain 80% health after 500-1000 complete cycles (I've had a 'dud' battery in my MBPro, replaced by Apple for free; and one my iPad Air 2 - now @ 60% health w/ just under 500 cycles); 3) Ruined if completely discharged - this appears to be a recurrent warning; and 4) Needs on-board computer for management - this impacts on Sue's comment above and also a practice that I've done occasionally, i.e. allow the battery to 'almost' die (I go to about 5%-10%), recharge completely to recalibrate the battery monitoring technology - as suggested in the second quote below (Source).

These days, I only do a recalibration if the battery stats seem 'off' or if battery health issues arise (Coconut Battery is a good app for that assessment); now my wife constantly lets the batteries on her two devices (iPad Mini 2 & iPhone 6) 'die' much to my chagrin, but on testing their 'battery health', still in GREAT shape - SO, not sure at the moment what to recommend - ;) Dave

Lithium Ion Battery Technology
Pros
- Much higher energy density (i.e. lighter)
- Hold their charge (lose 5%/month vs. 20 NiMH)
- No memory effect (complete discharge not needed)
- Handles hundreds charge/discharge cycles
Cons
- Degrade as soon as made (not based on use)
- Sensitive to high temperatures
- Ruined if completely discharged
- Needs on-board computer for management
- Small chance of bursting into flames

Prefers partial to deep discharge - don’t go to zero DC
Age from start even if unused (manufacturing date!)
Avoid heat

Apple recommends that you periodically drain your iPhone or iPad’s battery totally and then charge it up until it’s completely full. That's down to 0, and up to 100 percent. You should do this at least once a month. This process, called calibration, helps your device estimate its battery life more accurately. Calibrating your battery will ensure that you know when you need to charge the battery, but the procedure itself doesn’t actually make the battery itself last longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I'm was in the habit of charging my phone overnight, every night, because it was generally low on juice. I've been testing the new one to see how long it lasts, not going down to zero but not charging it every night. I think it would last over 24 hours without a charge with normal use, unbelievable on the previous one. Amazing!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take note that Apple's recommendation (Dave's post above) to let the battery totally drain is for calibration purposes and does not agree with most other "experts". Each person must decide for themselves which method to use for charging re-charging their devices. ;D

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
(Ian's post above)

It's really nice to know I'm in your thoughts, Charlie, but I haven't posted to this thread.................. yet.;D

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's really nice to know I'm in your thoughts, Charlie, but I haven't posted to this thread.................. yet.;D

Ian

Those senior moments are getting more frequent. LOL. Maybe time for some memory exercises.

OK, folks... my apologies to Ian, I meant Dave.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thing is, Charlie, Dave and I can see "through you" every time :Cool:LOL

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Take note that Apple's recommendation (Dave's post above) to let the battery totally drain is for calibration purposes and does not agree with most other "experts". Each person must decide for themselves which method to use for charging re-charging their devices. ;D

Thing is, Charlie, Dave and I can see "through you" every time :Cool:LOL

Those senior moments are getting more frequent. LOL. Maybe time for some memory exercises.

OK, folks... my apologies to Ian, I meant Dave.

Hi Charlie & Ian - just coming in for the evening and enjoying the exchange between you two - ;D At the moment, I'm pretty much doing the same as suggested by Charlie, i.e. rarely discharge near completely and recalibrate, unless I want to check the battery status and still not sure if that maneuver is of much use?

Just re-checked using Coconut Battery the stats on Susan's Mini & my iPad Air 2 (year older) - side to side screen captures below - both about 500 cycles - despite her 'abuse' of that battery (i.e. letting it die often), it's in great shape! How can one make a specific recommendation - seems like a 'crap shoot' to me - good to be lucky, I guess - Dave :) (all in jest!)
Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 7.56.46 PM.png

M

MacInWin

Dave the other factor in LiIon battery decay is time. Two years after manufacture the capacity starts to decline, no matter how it is, or is not, used. Your battery is mare than a year older, at almost three years old, while hers is not yet two. So your battery is starting to decay from age as well as use. At first this age-decay is slow, but it accelerates overall time. That could be the difference, given that both load cycles are close to 500.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.