iMessage in Mac Sierra

Reaction score
Being used to my ipad and iphone, I have a problem which is probably due to my age!
When typing an iMessage on my Mac, I can find no way to send it!
On the ipad I tap the arrow on the message line. I can't find anything, even in the menu bar!
Help!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

If I may assume you've opened the Messages app, been able to open a new message, put in the addressee and typed your message - Hit Return.

Few points in passing: the account associated with your Messages has to be "Enabled". If it's not, when you hit Return, it will tell you so and invite you to "Enable Account", by clicking on it.

You don't mention which Operating System your Mac runs - iMessage app was replaced by Messages app some time ago.

Please [post back.

Ian

OP
N
Reaction score
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

If I may assume you've opened the Messages app, been able to open a new message, put in the addressee and typed your message - Hit Return.

Few points in passing: the account associated with your Messages has to be "Enabled". If it's not, when you hit Return, it will tell you so and invite you to "Enable Account", by clicking on it.

You don't mention which Operating System your Mac runs - iMessage app was replaced by Messages app some time ago.

Please [post back.

Ian

My op system is Serra, as in the subject line, the latest version until os11 comes out.

Yes of course the messages app is open, the trouble I was having, as I said, was after typing the message.
The reason I didn't tap "return" was I assumed that would just start a new line.
Thanks for your reply, I'll do that next time.
Just another little difference between mac and ipad!

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you for your kindness in posting back.

I agree, it's not intuitive. Anyway, now you know.

Oh, and thank you for pointing out how I missed "Sierra" in your headline. Between you and me, I think we are of a similar age:):p

Ian

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you for your kindness in posting back.

I agree, it's not intuitive. Anyway, now you know.

Oh, and thank you for pointing out how I missed "Sierra" in your headline. Between you and me, I think we are of a similar age:):p

Ian

No problem, not the age thing, that can be a problem!

BTW, how do I reply without quoting the message I'm replying to?

Ray.

OP
N
Reaction score
Forget that last question! I think I was looking at it on the wrong page!

Or I'm on the wrong page! ��

Ray.

Reaction score
And if you do happen to want a new line in the message, press <option>+<return>

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
And if you do happen to want a new line in the message, press <option>+<return>
Thanks for the tip. Don't think I knew that. That whole return to send /option+return for new line is ridiculous.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That whole return to send /option+return for new line is ridiculous.

I agree, Sly. There's no continuity between iOS and macOS in the way messages are sent, or a new line/paragraph created.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.