Playback Logic X CPU overload - but why??!

Reaction score
https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131904

Playback continually stopping - Logic X CPU overload - but why??

Hi,

Just started a fairly simple Logic X project, very few AU Instruments, except for Omnisphere, Stylus, Ivory and a few LASS Kontakt instances.

My iMac details are below

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac15,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB

The track will not play for more than a few seconds at a time before playback stops and the insufficient CPU warning comes up . It's been hours and hours of the same problem and I'm at my wits end.

I've increased buffer to maximum 1024 ages ago, I've tried changing number of threads between 8 and 'automatic' to see if that helps, I deleted Omnisphere, Stylus and LASS instances from the project, I've restarted the iMac several times, I've quit and restarted Logic several times, I just cannot understand what is causing this issue.

I've uploaded a few snapshots of the thread meter when playback stops

and when the track is idle (i.e. nothing playing at all).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yf0xejnbz9a6cft/Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 13.57.42.png?dl=0

As you can see it seems very odd that the CPU is working so hard even when there's nothing happening.

I ran an Avast virus scan and nothing bad on the system.

Othe Logic songs which played perfectly yesterday are now having the same issue, though they play for 3-6 seconds rather than stop straight away.

The only thing that has changed in the last 24 hours is the temperature in the studio is up about 10 degrees due to the weather. But iStat Pro (snapshot included) shows temperatures to be within workable limits, or am I mistaken?
Screen%20Shot%202017-06-20%20at%2014.08.53.png

Any help from anywhere would be so great, I have a deadline and I really don't know what to do...

Many thanks guys.
Screen%20Shot%202017-06-20%20at%2013.56.56.png

OP
A
Reaction score
PS I have an external drive for libraries and am running an audio interface Focusrite Scarlett...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.