Ethernet-regular USB adapter on a Macbook 12'

Reaction score
Hi.

I want to connect my 12' Macbook to the internet via cable.
Apple sells a USB-C - Ethernet adapter would seems like it would work, but I don't like the ideia of being unable to use the internet and charge my computer at the same time. Since I already have the multiport adapter, I thought I'd just buy the Ethernet - Regular USB adapter and use it through the multiport. Can anyone confirm if this works?

Cheers,
Lucas

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I can't confirm that the multi-adapter will positively work with the ethernet - USB adapter but can't see why it wouldn't. Is there any reason you don't want to use WiFi instead?

OP
L
Reaction score
I would rather use the WiFi, to be honest, but even though I work fairly close to the router the connection is terrible. I've tried multiple internet service providers but none of them managed to solve it.

It may be because I live right next to an electrical substation, and the electromagnetic field it generates somehow messes with the WiFi...

M

MacInWin

Before you spend a lot of effort on this, do you KNOW that if you moved to wired that the speed would improve? I would think the router in general is more likely to be impacted by the electrical substation than just the WiFi portion of it. The EM field from the substation is at a pretty low frequency, and probably at a pretty low strength. Does your smartphone have a compass, or do you have a compass, and do they work properly in your home? If so, the substation is definitely NOT the issue.

Also, are you near other homes that would also have WiFI going? There is an excellent chance that you and your neighbors are all trying to use the same channel of WiFi and collisions are slowing everybody down.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi!
I've tried wired vs. WiFi connection on other computers and wired always works just fine, as opposed to WiFi, so here's hoping the same applies to the Mac.

The channel ideia is a pretty good shout; I forgot all about channel congestion. Will try moving to a less usual channel, maybe that'll help.

Thanks a bunch!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.