• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

2.33 gHz iMacs

Reaction score
Who knows if any will come out. iMacs don't necessarily need to be faster, as they are only a consumer level computer.

Besides, if anyone knew whether any apple product should be coming out anytime, we'd have it a lot easier, right. So there's no point in askin these questions over and over again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 1,66 + iMac 20" 2,16 + MacBook 1,83 (512 mo, 2Go, 1Go) + iPod Shuffle/30Go
are you really going to see a difference between a 2.0 and a 2.33ghz iMac? i think that the 2.0ghz is plenty fast enough as it is already. i still dont own one as i just bought myself my iBook, but will be getting one by next year. Who knows by then they might be at 2.33ghz with a gig of ram, a standard 256meg vid card and a 320 gig hd. that would be awesome but the current config is good enough for me, well except for the ram.

nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
are you really going to see a difference between a 2.0 and a 2.33ghz iMac?

Not at all I would say but that didn't stop Apple from upgrading the 2Ghz G5's to 2.1Ghz last year. Pointless but they did it anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Jabjabs said:
Not at all I would say but that didn't stop Apple from upgrading the 2Ghz G5's to 2.1Ghz last year. Pointless but they did it anyway.

That's marketing. The question is if you let yourself get drawn in by it or not.

OP
C

caveatipss

My theory is that, a new computer costs so much for the average person, that even having 100 mHz difference should matter. It's getting just that much more for your money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
The key thing to discuss here is whether Apple will subscribe to the frequency of updates that Intel will provide, or if they will continue with the revision schedule that was used for the G5 chips. Intel is going to be producing faster CPU's much more frequently than IBM did. It is probably not going to be wise for Apple to start changing the iMac every three months due to new processor speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
techster82 said:
The key thing to discuss here is whether Apple will subscribe to the frequency of updates that Intel will provide, or if they will continue with the revision schedule that was used for the G5 chips. Intel is going to be producing faster CPU's much more frequently than IBM did. It is probably not going to be wise for Apple to start changing the iMac every three months due to new processor speeds.

They'll likely have to though. Before they could say "You can't campare the G5 to the Pentium directly, so the a PC with a higher Ghz rating isn't really faster." Apple doesn't have that luxury any more because people will be comparing the speed ratings directly, so they'll have to keep their specs up with the likes of HP and Dell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect what you may see is an option that will allow you to choose what speed chip you want when you order a machine. I don't think they will "revise" machines per-se, but will simply allow the buyer to choose from what is available. For example, they could give you a choice for the iMac of a 2.0, a 2.16 or a 2.33 chip. The 2.16 would be the standard for the base price, the 2.0 would be, say, $100 less and the 2.33 would be, say, $100 more. Those prices are just for example purposes and not meant to be realistic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Conroe

I think the question should really be, when will we see Conroe core chips in macs. They are supposedly hitting the streets this month (conroe chips).

Check this out, a 2.66Ghz conroe vs an AMD Athlon64 x2 4800+ overclocked to 2.8 Ghz (from a normally clocked 2.4 Ghz). That's a normally clocked 2.66Ghz conroe wiping the floor with a heavily overclocked A64 4800+ :

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/intel conroe idf preview_03070620313/11091.png

I haven't been a big fan of intel in the past, but this chip looks like the first really big jump in performance achieved through an fundamental architecture change since the A64 was introduced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Yeah Conroe is the big talk in the PC world right now. I am very impressed with the Core Duo chips and can't wait to see what the Conroe core brings to the table. I have been an AMD fan for a long time, but maybe Intel is finally using their "big boy" leverage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I expect to see the "Conroe" chips in the PowerMac replacement.

OP
C

caveatipss

IS it reasonable to imagine that the new iMacs would come out in June? How often does Apple usually update processor speeds?

OP
L

Left Face Down

Personally I think you'll see the the iBook go Intel and the 12" MacBook Pro before you see the higher processor iMac. So June, maybe... probably early fall though I'd say. Then late fall you'll see the Power Mac G5 go Intel. Be it whatever it's called.

What do I know though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06
I just read an article on AppleInsider.com that 2.33 GHz chips are rolling out this week. I ordered my iMac on Monday and I was only offered 2GHz. I hope I am one of the lucky ones to get an unexpected "upgrade"!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
studio34 said:
I just read an article on AppleInsider.com that 2.33 GHz chips are rolling out this week. I ordered my iMac on Monday and I was only offered 2GHz. I hope I am one of the lucky ones to get an unexpected "upgrade"!

If not an upgrade, if it's within 30 days of purchase you can return for one :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06
How does that kind of return work for Apple? Would they be able to replace the motherboard at the store or would I need to send it back? Once I get my new machine, I am sure I will be reluctant to part with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
deus_ex_machina said:
If not an upgrade, if it's within 30 days of purchase you can return for one :)

If I got my iMac G5 in September 2005, and the iSight iMacs came out in October 2005, am I still eligible for an upgrade in June 2006?

OP
J

Jangles

baggss said:
That's marketing. The question is if you let yourself get drawn in by it or not.

I don't understand what you guys are arguing. This is just the natural progression of hardware and price drops. I agree that waiting for a small bump might not be worth it to many, but then I guess all you guys do is word process and surf the internets.

For me I want the best machine available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.