How can I change another local user password?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Yeah I know that this seems obvious but do not ask me why, i just cannot change the password of another local user.
I follow the instructions from Apple website:
- Open users and groups
- unlock the lock with my admin username and password
Finally after that I should be able to change the password of another user but I can never see that option. i can change the password of my account but not the other ones.

Since I am full admin, why that I cannot do that?

Thank you for your help in advance!
Dag

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My account is the Admin account on my machine and I created a new user and I can reset the password if I want..see screenshot below..I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.5

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 3.21.43 PM.png

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer Razor,
I see the exact same image as you but the reset password option is just not there... The rest is all the same. So weird!

OP
D
Reaction score
I've just realized that your user is described as a standard user. Mine is described as a Mobile one. I think the answer is there. I will have to do some more research about this unless someone already have the answer! :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other way to do this is from the command line, open up the Terminal and type
Code:
sudo passwd [B]<other user's username>[/B]

You can figure out the username of the other user if you don't already know it but right-clicking on their name in the screenshot above and choose Advanced Options, this will give you a lot of details including their username.

When you enter the command above, you will first need to enter your password to give you admin privileges to change the other users password. After that, you will be prompted to enter a new password and verify it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've just realized that your user is described as a standard user. Mine is described as a Mobile one. I think the answer is there. I will have to do some more research about this unless someone already have the answer! :)

That isn't a valid type for a local user, the options are Administrator, Standard, Managed with Parental Controls and Sharing. How was this other user created?

OP
D
Reaction score
OK found the answer... The user was linked to our Active Directory environment... Since the employee left the City for a month now he was deactivated. I have just enabled it again and changed his password, it worked like a charm. I'm logged in the account now.
We work in a pure windows environement and this is the only Mac with have. I just did not know that he was in AD!

Thanks for your help razor. Your screenshot gave me the answer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A pure Windows environment?

How flabbergasting Ashwin anything to do with 'puters is pure. Keep coming back Daguerre101 lots of good information here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.