Software "closes" immediately when I try to launch it on my new Mac 2017

Reaction score
I just switched over to my new Kabylake 2017 Macbook from being a heavy windows user.
I installed some of my personal software (.dmg files/osx versions) but after a successful install, trying to run the program i get a system prompt saying the program has closed unexpectedly and i can click on Ignore Retry or Cancel which sucks.
I have install from "Anywhere" enabled via terminal too.

Is there any way in mac to force-run and skip any built-in safeguards... i feel like my new foray into Macland is already gonna suck if I am unable to run any software any time i want. On windows I could do anything and everything a poweruser could ever dream of.
Feel free to PM me if you've found a work around for yourselves too already.

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Which software is having issues and is it compatible with macOS Sierra?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First...welcome to Mac-forums.:)

I just switched over to my new Kabylake 2017 Macbook from being a heavy windows user.
I installed some of my personal software (.dmg files/osx versions) but after a successful install, trying to run the program i get a system prompt saying the program has closed unexpectedly and i can click on Ignore Retry or Cancel which sucks.

Exactly what "personal software" are you trying to install...and what versions are they? If these apps are older...they may not be compatible with the version of the Mac OS on the computer.

I have install from "Anywhere" enabled via terminal too.

If you are a brand new Mac-User...I would stay away from Terminal. You can really mess things up if the wrong things are done in Terminal...and...you don't need to do anything in Terminal to get apps to install & run.:)

Is there any way in mac to force-run and skip any built-in safeguards... i feel like my new foray into Macland is already gonna suck if I am unable to run any software any time i want.

You're certainly not the first "heavy Windows user" to switch to using Mac's!;)

On windows I could do anything and everything a poweruser could ever dream of.

If this is then case...why did you switch to using a Mac if everything was going great on the Windows equipment??

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
You guys are fast!!
Thanks for quick replies!

Some creation tools I've had in my "arsenal" for years, 3rd party oddball video decoders (quicktime/flv won't suffice) ... Why would it matter anyways, it's just software.

Guess the closest troubleshoot resolution provided so far is Mac os versions. Seriously makes a difference between os numbers? Not familiar at all with the version order history, but I'll wiki it.
So software running on Maverick will not run on Sierra out of the box? Lots of programs won't be forwards compatible like that? Ouch. I thought Osx is osx. Unless upgrading from Maverick to Sierra is the equivalent major change to that from WinXp to Win7 then I guess I'll understand.

Switched cause I use Macs at work and decided now I might as well switch over instead of having to work around two different oses all the time.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OS X (pronounced as OS Ten by some) is almost a "brand" name like Windows. Each of the versions (cat names before, locations in California more recently) represent the actual versions like XP, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and so on..

Jumping from 10.6 to 10.7 was a big deal since 10.7 dropped all support for Universal apps which worked on PowerPC based Macs since at that point in time Apple had fully switched over to Intel-based Macs. With each version of the OS, some UI or outwardly thing changes, but more importantly the underlying API changes and not all of them are backward compatible.

For a while, most apps required 10.6 Snow Leopard as the minimum, now they've moved onto 10.10 Yosemite as the minimum..

You'll want to go through the apps you have (go back to the developer sites) and see what versions they support and ensure you have the latest versions of them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You guys are fast!!
Thanks for quick replies!

We try our best!:)

Some creation tools I've had in my "arsenal" for years, 3rd party oddball video decoders (quicktime/flv won't suffice) ... Why would it matter anyways, it's just software.

Guess the closest troubleshoot resolution provided so far is Mac os versions. Seriously makes a difference between os numbers? Not familiar at all with the version order history, but I'll wiki it.
So software running on Maverick will not run on Sierra out of the box? Lots of programs won't be forwards compatible like that? Ouch. I thought Osx is osx. Unless upgrading from Maverick to Sierra is the equivalent major change to that from WinXp to Win7 then I guess I'll understand.

ABSOLUTELY it matters!!!!;)

Here's a quick detail about Apple computers. When Apple releases a brand new model computer...it comes (pre-installed) with the latest version of the Mac OS. No surprises there. lol But...what new users may not know is...the version of the OS the new Mac ships with is the "oldest" Mac OS version it will ever run.

Thus...if a brand new Mac ships with Sierra (10.12)...that same Mac cannot run any Mac OS older than Sierra. So something like Mavericks (10.10) will not install.

Bottom line. If the software you are trying to install is compatible with Mavericks...but not Sierra...that's why those apps aren't running. Maybe with an update they will run. Or maybe a whole new version of each app is needed ($$$).

If you want to figure out if what you have is compatible with Sierra...go to:

www.roaringapps.com

Switched cause I use Macs at work and decided now I might as well switch over instead of having to work around two different oses all the time.

A great reason!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Some creation tools I've had in my "arsenal" for years, 3rd party oddball video decoders (quicktime/flv won't suffice)

I don't know what "creation tools" means, but if you want a program that will handle and/or translate between different odd video formats, check out:

VideoLan Client (VLC) (free)
http://www.videolan.org/

MPEGStreamClip (free)
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html
http://www.squared5.com/

Guess the closest troubleshoot resolution provided so far is Mac os versions.

A program that launches but then immediately quits isn't necessarily an "incompatible version", though it could be.

More commonly when a program launches and then immediately quits, the problem is due to a corrupted program preferences file. Try this:

In the Finder (which you can get to by clicking on the icon of a face with two shades of blue in your dock)
Hold down the Option key and select the Go menu.
Your user Library will appear in the menu; choose it.
Open the Preferences folder in the resulting window
There look for any files with the name of the application (the one that keeps quitting on you) in the name.
Move that file (or files) to the desktop.
Now see if the problematic program will launch.

Seriously makes a difference between os numbers?

It sometimes makes a difference, but not always. From the MacOS 10.7 to the current version, 10.12, very few programs have broken between versions, but some do. Check:

http://www.roaringapps.com

for application compatibility with your version of the MacOS.

Even if your application broke between versions of the MacOS, it's possible (actually it's likely) that the developer offers a patch or new version to make your app compatible with the later OS.

Not familiar at all with the version order history, but I'll wiki it.

Versions of Macintosh OS X (now called MacOS):
• First Public Beta: "Kodiak"
• Version 10.0: "Cheetah" (released in 2001)
• Version 10.1: "Puma"
• Version 10.2: "Jaguar"
• Version 10.3: "Panther"
• Version 10.4: "Tiger"
• Version 10.5: "Leopard"
• Version 10.6: "Snow Leopard"
• Version 10.7: "Lion"
• Version 10.8: "Mountain Lion"
• Version 10.9: "Mavericks"
• Version 10.10: "Yosemite"
• Version 10.11: "El Capitan"
• Version 10.12: "Sierra"
• Version 10.13: "High Sierra"

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204319
gives you the OS version that shipped with each Macintosh model. In just about every case, with only a few rare exceptions, you can't install a version of the MacOS on a Macintosh that's older than the version that it came with.

No, the vast majority of software that could run under Mavericks will run under Sierra. There will be a few programs that will require an update, but most will run fine. Once again, check for compatibility on RoaringApps, or on the Web site for the developer of your application. This isn't any different than the situation with Windows. It only gets bad when the platform undergoes a major hardware change or the OS undergoes a major architecture change. The Macintosh hasn't had that since the release of OS X 10.7 (Lion) when Apple dropped Rosetta from the OS, about 7 years ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.