Keyboard buttons not working

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could please help me. My keyboard has some buttons that are not working. I went and replaced the keyboard with a brand new one yesterday and the same buttons are not working on the new one as well. Just wondering if there is a setting that may have changed.

Thank you

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry have no idea what sort of computer you are referring to. Could be a desktop keyboard...could be a laptop keyboard. And since the thread was posted in the "Switcher Hangout" area (not the proper place)...can't make a firm guess based on the topic area. I'm guessing you're talking about an Apple notebook computer...please confirm.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
My apologies mate. I am talking about my Mac desktop the keyboard is now a new magic keyboard. there is a block of 9 keys that do not work, and all the others do work.
Sorry for posting in the wrong spot.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What, if anything, happens when you press one of the keys that doesn't work?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My apologies mate. I am talking about my Mac desktop the keyboard is now a new magic keyboard. there is a block of 9 keys that do not work, and all the others do work.
Sorry for posting in the wrong spot.

Ahh...I was wrong. It WAS a desktop keyboard.;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Turn on the keyboard viewer in System Preferences, Language & Region by selecting "Show input menu in menu bar". When the small flag appears in the menu bar, click on it and then select "Show Keyboard Viewer". Now... press on those keys that are not working and tell us what happens in the keyboard viewer.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turn on the keyboard viewer in System Preferences, Language & Region by selecting "Show input menu in menu bar". When the small flag appears in the menu bar, click on it and then select "Show Keyboard Viewer". Now... press on those keys that are not working and tell us what happens in the keyboard viewer.
Great idea. I never thought of doing that.

OP
S
Reaction score
All sorted, thank you all for your help.
I had to go to System Preferences, Accessability, Mouse & Trackpad and unclick Enable Mouse keys. Not sure how thats been turned on as I do not have a track pad and rarely go to System Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Great idea. I never thought of doing that.

Gee whizz Slydude, the Admins are going to knock you down to only being allowed a nine gallon hat for not knowing that!!

It's been a standard keyboard test method for years now and has also been known to be used to type an emergency email using only the mouse!! :eek:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not sure how thats been turned on as I do not have a track pad and rarely go to System Preferences.

Sometimes the default to enable the feature was set to be On, and I believe it was something like five presses on the option button would enable the feature. So, just maybe…

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gee whizz Slydude, the Admins are going to knock you down to only being allowed a nine gallon hat for not knowing that!!

It's been a standard keyboard test method for years now and has also been known to be used to type an emergency email using only the mouse!! :eek:

- Patrick
======
That's a big improvement over the dunce cap I've been wearing for forgetting the date of the WWDC keynote. :Blushing::Oops: We're in negotiations. I'm shooting for a 9.5 gallon hat.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.