HELP, got a MAC and can't get onto my fav chat

P

PDwife2nutz

i have a powerbook, and i am swtching from PC. I love to chat at rock-solid.net. but can't seem to get onti te site (its an ICHAT site)

i downloaded the mac thing

then IE and the Explorer plug un

I can log in, but never get to see the chat/whoe is there

help help help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yeah, use a different browser. IE for Mac has not been updated in years, nor will it ever be updated again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What is the URL of the site you are trying to access?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
D3v1L80Y said:
What is the URL of the site you are trying to access?

I believe it is http://www.rock-solid.net. If your Mac is an intel Mac, I have found problems with java at the moment on my intel Mac, which does not replicate on my G4 systems. Have you tried updating the Java plug-in for your browser?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
I couldnt get into the ichat room with my G4 Tiger Safari - says it cannot find the chat server, but the java chat room worked fine.

OP
P

PDwife2nutz

I have the samw thing, I have a PB G4.

No one is ever in the Java room, so it sucks

someone said to launch Classic, then run netscape, but i have no idea, how to do so,

thanks for the help :)

OP
S

simongarfunk

i have the same problem with some websites. Basically what I have done is continue to use the websites with what ever browser works best, either safari or firefox, you can even try using camino. For things that still dont' work, i boot in windows ( i have an intel mac ) which still has someproblems, because drivers aren't complete for the windows side. Basically you have to sacrifice complete web compatibility for stability, until webmasters/designers start making websites both windows and mac compatible.

peace,
jimbo :batman:

OP
M

MacMiniNewbie

simongarfunk said:
Basically you have to sacrifice complete web compatibility for stability, until webmasters/designers start making websites both windows and mac compatible.

peace,
jimbo :batman:

Jimbo, I agree but sadly I don't think that''s going to happen anytime soon. Perhaps at the personal website level people will use tools that are cross-platform compatible; the creation of bootcamp is a tacit acknowledgement of the unique capabilities of both -- and more importantly, the strategic need to acknowledge "the other" in a way that saves face.

More people use Linux than Mac. More people have dualboot Linux/Windows boxes than Mac. Now, if Mac comes closer to Linux, than voila! the problem minimizes... this might be a direction underway. So, if you're asking a commercial site who they will build their site for, you would get Windows and Linux. Not Mac, not for the 5%.

Mac is a niche market, and I'm proud to have just joined it. I'm no "switcher," I'm an "incrementer" who has added a Mac Mini to ny home network. Ultimately, corporations are dumping money into Linux the way they did in Unix years ago x 100, so Mac remains with it's small share, perhaps slightly diminished, and Linux and Windows duke it out for marketshare. I've spent 20 years managing in corporate IT, and I know what the spend is like.

Let me put it in the terms we used. Of a $60 million IT budget, we allocated $300 for Mac products. That was a memory upgrade for some sort of Mac or other we use to determine how compatible our globe-spanning websites will be to various platforms. Once we determine what works and what doesn't on the Mac, we post it on the site FAQ. We don't change the web code.

But again, I'm a proud owner having mine for less than a week but geeked on it for like 40 hours already. The only unfortunate parts of my Mac so far are:

+ only a few good Texas Hold'em sites... not very fond of Full Tilt. Like PokerChamps

+ need good video-grabbing hardware, something so I can plug my DirecTV unit into and allow me to view on the desktop or fullscreen. Preferably HiDef connections.

The latter item DOES exist for Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.