Apple ear buds not working iphone5s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
Never used buds before. Going on trip and want to use them. Plugged into iphine5s outlet after changing accessibility to mono... sound still plays thru phone and not ear buds

What else can I do?

Tho works just fine on my iPad!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try inserting them in and out several times. Also, look very closely in the headphone jack on your 5s. It's very common for lint and dirt to get into the jack and that blocks the headphones from making contact. You might try using canned air to blow into the jack - but be careful not to blow very close to the phone.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks chscag
i tried all the things suggested on various sites and have just chatted with apple. nothing seems to work.
tho i do remember about 1 1/2 yrs ago spilled bit of coffee on phone and quickly inserted into rice in zip lock bag overnite.
next morning all things work well....tho i never used the phone jack before so don't know if that worked or not.

my contract for this phone is up in september and I probably will be getting a new iPhone 5SE...
i will definitely try out the ear buds with that when I get it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It always helps to give us the complete story. Spills can be very unpredictable as you now found out. By the way, it's an iPhone SE not a 5SE. And when you get the new phone, be sure to place it in a case that's water proof. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It always helps to give us the complete story.

And just maybe, maybe there's a grain or small partial piece of grain of rice stuck in the sound jack hole??? :\

- Patrick
======

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i had totally forgotten about the water spill until all the fix options were not working.... lol

i will look into waterproof case for new iphone.

tho that was just a freak accident.
and yes i did check to see if there a piece of rice inside the jack hole.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.