Can using Little Snitch make my mac Less Secure than its “out of the box” settings?

Reaction score
Im thinking about configuring little snitch to allow all processes incoming and outgoing network traffic.

By allowing "any process” incoming / outgoing rights will this make my Mac less secure than its default settings (default out of the box, eg. not using OSX’s in built firewall tool)

The reason i want to do the above is because i want to block incoming and outgoing network traffic for a few applications. I can do this no problem with Little Snitch, but if i turn Little Snitch on it will by default block all network traffic and require each connection to be manually approved. To get around this i would setup the "allow any process" incoming and outgoing traffic rights.

This way all incoming / outgoing is allowed as a global rule, but certain apps are blocked as a specific rule.

Would doing the above make my Mac less secure than its default settings (default out of the box, eg. not using OSX’s in built firewall tool)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Little Snitch isn't going to enable random settings that aren't enabled in the OS (screen sharing, file sharing, and things as such). So basically you are saying that it should all traffic that normally flows to continue to do so, except for a handful of select applications that will have their traffic restricted either incoming, outgoing or both. I played with Little Snitch a long time ago and realized the crazy amount of traffic that is going in and out from the various services/apps on my system and since there wasn't anything I was trying to specifically block, the resource hit wasn't worth it for me..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
LOVE the answer options (short vs. long)!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.