MacBook+iMac+2Monitor

Reaction score
Hey Folks, so here is what I am trying to figure out.
I am a system admin and this was my first week. I am kind of new with Macs in the enterprise so I need some super basic help.
I have a MacBook Pro and I am using an iMac to extend the screen. This is not going to work as the MacBook is killing my eyes so I need another monitor.
What are my options?
Can I use two iMacs to extend my MacBook? There are only 2 thunderbolt ports and one is already being used for the network connection and the other is going to the first iMac, so I am not sure that's going to work or if that even is possible
Can I use the one iMac and then hook up another monitor? I am sure I can, but what I want to know is if that I do that will I be able to close the MacBook and have the iMac as the primary as the other monitor as the secondary and then be able to drag in between the two?
Can I use just two regular monitors? Will I be able to close the MacBook, and then just have the two monitors like I would on a Windows laptop in a docking station (Close the lid) the monitors display the laptop stuff. How would I connect to the two monitors I only have a 1 HDMI port on the MacBook. I believe the MacBook is an Early 2013 model.
Any other option to get two monitors working with the MacBook docked\closed?

No offense, and I do love the MacBook, but coming from a Windows background, this is a no brainer with PCs. With the MacBook I am stumped. I am having a hard time with this, plus it's a pain in the *** to adjust the windows and drag them between the screens :\

Thank you in advance,
FS

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Using Target Display Mode (TDM) is a good idea but as I understand it you could not daisy-chain the two iMacs used as monitors Each wold have to be connected to a separate Thunderbolt port which isn't an option since one of your Thunderbolt ports is used for something else.
  1. You can use more than one TDM Mac with a single source device. Target Display Mode basically turns your iMac into simple monitor, so if you have two iMacs and, let’s say, a new Mac Pro, you can put both iMacs into TDM, connect them to the Mac Pro, and have two displays for your new Mac workstation. Note, however, that you’ll need to connect each display directly and individually to the source; you can’t daisy chain iMacs in Target Display Mode.
See here for reference

Since your MacBook has an HDMI port I'd connect one monitor to the HDMI port and one monitor to one of the Thunderbolt Port. Adapters are available that handle Thunderbolt to all of the major connection types you are likely to need to connect to (VGA, DVI, or HDMI) The Thunderbolt adapter to connect to the monitor is not terribly expensive and don't necessarily need to be from Apple.

You should be able to close the lid and run the MacBook in clamshell mode. To control whether you are in mirror mode or extend desktop mode you need to enter the Displays preference pane with the external monitors connected.

Others more familiar with the specs and performance of that specific Mac may have better solutions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.