what's going on with iTunes

Reaction score
Hello all
Now I'm no expert on "anything" I'm just and end user, so when I have a question about
Mac's I come here.
Presently like today I opened iTunes and clicked on music. It loaded a Library
and the first (40) songs were numbered and most had duplicates.
then as I scanned down, the songs had no numbers and most if not all did not have duplicates.
what gives?
Also I see some songs in my iTunes I did not download or install, how did that happen?
When I noticed the doubles, I clicked on "show duplicates" and only one was high lighted.
I always keep my iPhone 5 up to the current IOS version
I back up all the time both apps and music
Any suggestions?
Best

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you have any music that is stored in both your library and iCloud? This can be one cause of duplicates. It is possible to tell iTunes not to show music that is in the cloud but the actual command has changed somewhat in recent versions of iTunes. In fact, I can't seem to find it right now in the current version of iTunes.

What version of iTunes are are you using?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You are quite right, Sly.

The option to disclose or hide iCloud-based music has changed.

You can now find it in iTunes > View > All Music or Only Downloaded Music (which in translation: All means Downloaded/purchased on this Device PLUS iCloud music from other Devices; Only Downloaded means just music downloaded to this particular Device).

Version 12.6.1.25 is the latest for most people. but 12.6.1.27 has been available to some users in certain countries.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've got iTunes 12.6.1.27 but I'm not seeing that option Ian. I must be really tired.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well Sly, quite a few of us according the numerous postings, can't get past 12.6.1.25. But I very much doubt if that minor update for selected countries/users would change much.

As of now, I open iTunes, click on View from top Menu Bar and in the drop down the options are:

S1.png

Don't worry about feeling tired, Sly, I feel knackered half the time myself:)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.