• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Delete an Administrator account on OS X 10.3.x

R

rolls

I'm trying to delete an account with Administrative rights unsuccessfully. This is an iMac on a lab environment the needs to authenticate users.
OS x 10.3.x Your input will be appreciated.

Rolls

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You need to log in as Root to do so. If you have not set up the root account you must boot from the CD/DVD. When you get to the second screen for an install, go to the Menu bar and look for tools or utilities. There will be an option in there to "Change Password" or "Reset Password". Select that and for the user enter "root" and then a password. Once complete, reboot the Mac and log into the root account. Proceed to the Accounts prefs pane and delete the admin account in question.

You may be able to delete the account in question when booted from the CD/DVD where you change the password, but I am not sure.

There is probably a command line way to do this but I have no idea what it is.

Reaction score
Is the account you're logged into an admin account? If yes, you should be able to delete the other account.
If you're in a lab environment, you should talk to whoever admins the lab. They might not want the account deleted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.