Three Photos Issues

Reaction score
Recently switched from a Motorola Droid to a LG G3. I generally do not store photos on my phone. and transferring my photos onto Photo was the same process but I am recently having some issues...

A. When I plug in the USB, my most recent photos load onto the page under "New Photos". Other photos are above them under "Already Imported 20 Photos". A couple of them are old photos that are still on my phone but others are random. Why are these listed?

B. Normally, I can click on Import, then Select All under Edi then click Export under File.

Under all of the headings (Photos, Shared, etc.), it states "Importing 181 photos" but I see no progress.

I have tried to click "Select All" under Edit which puts a check mark on each photo and then I click "Export" under File and nothing happens.

C. It has also been importing pixelated versions of each photo which I am forced to delete.

For the last two days a little screen stated...shutting down Photos. I finally restarted the computer to make that disappear.

OS X El Capitan

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try importing your photos with the Image Capture application instead of directly importing them into the Photos application. You can then separate them and move whatever photos you wish to your Photos library.

OP
M
Reaction score
Never heard of Image Capture, did a search and fogbound this in an Apple forum "image capture can be found using Launch Pad. By default it is in the folder titled other.

Alternatively you can use Finder to open the Applications folder."

I do not see a folder entitled "other".

Now, when I click on the time clock, a bar shows "Importing 181 Photos". It is half way blue. I click the X and nothing happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
fogbound this in an Apple forum "image capture can be found

Thy this basic Mac method:

When in the Finder, click the Go (menu) -> click Applications -> double-click Image Capture that will be in the Applications folder.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Image Capture is a native (already loaded) Utility in your Application Folder inside a sub folder which may be called Utilities or Other.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nope, the Image Capture application is located directly in your Applications folder not in utilities or a sub folder.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Looks like Other to me:

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 2.08.18 pm.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as I can remember, it's been located in the Applications folder. You may have moved it somewhere else. What is that "Other" folder? It looks like something you created? OS X has always had Applications and then "Utilities" as a sub folder to Applications. Image Capture has always been in the Applications folder unless you moved it somewhere else like in your "Other" folder.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes, I agree with chscag.

I have never seen "Other" in any OS back to, and including, Snow Leopard.

And Image Capture has always been in Applications.

There are a number of apps, apparently, that will let you organise apps according to your own preferences; and, of course, one can do this natively and manually in Launchpad.

Ian

EDIT Your picture, Rod, looks as if it is from Launchpad??

OP
M
Reaction score
I need to have my eyes checked. Other was front and center when I opened launch pad.

I watched a quick video, plugged in my phone, imported to Others, made a folder and placed it on my desktop.

Clicked on the folder and it is empty.

Tried moving to Photos but when I try to open it says that it is closing down. Definitely a bug is photos.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I agree with chscag.

I have never seen "Other" in any OS back to, and including, Snow Leopard.

And Image Capture has always been in Applications.

There are a number of apps, apparently, that will let you organise apps according to your own preferences; and, of course, one can do this natively and manually in Launchpad.

Ian

EDIT Your picture, Rod, looks as if it is from Launchpad??

Yes, it is Launchpad. Our OP seems to have had no problem locating it that way. Of course if you guys are stuck back in the Finder Window era you may not have seen this view before. Note that the Application Folder structure does not mirror the Launchpad view. But then you would know that if you had looked.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@macular

May I, with respect, take you through using Image Capture, because I suspect that there might have been a slight flaw in the proceedings:)

On your Desktop, create a Folder (Right click on an empty space on the Desktop, and choose create new Folder). Give it a name, say, "Phone Pics".

Connect your iPhone directly to your Mac via USB (avoid a hub).

Open Finder, then Click on Applications, then double click on Image Capture to open it.

When Image Capture opens, it will recognise your iPhone, under Devices (on the left, at the top).

Click on the iPhone icon. It will probably ask you to unlock your phone. Do this in your usual manner (Passcode or Fingerprint).

Now you will see all your pictures to the right.

Select all those you wish to Import. (Do this by holding down Command and left-clicking on those to be selected).

At the bottom, to the right, is the Import "button". But before you click on it - check the destination - to the left where it says "Import To". By default, this is into the app called "Pictures".

You can, of course, keep that; but I suggest you click on the up-and-down triangles, then select Desktop.

Then click on Import (Not Import All).

Your selected pictures will now appear on the Desktop.

Close out of Image Capture and Finder.

Go to your Desktop. Move them to your previously created "Phone Pics" Folder. And there you are. Now you can do what you like with them.

You could, for example, Open the Photos app, Click on File in the top Menu Bar and choose Import.

This will open a window which will allow you to select Desktop and, from there, your "Phone Pics' Folder. Then Import these to Photos.

They are arranged, by default, in date order so you might not see them at the bottom of your pictures. If not, click on "Last Import", found on the left. And there they will be, ready for editing, or not.

I've just been through this entire procedure as I posted - it works!

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it is Launchpad. Our OP seems to have had no problem locating it that way. Of course if you guys are stuck back in the Finder Window era you may not have seen this view before. Note that the Application Folder structure does not mirror the Launchpad view. But then you would know that if you had looked.

No offence, Rod.

I was merely clarifying the difference between Finder > Applications and Launchpad.

And you're quite right, I am rather stuck on the Finder Window method.:Blushing:

It's just my way. I've never really found Launchpad helpful, though many have. In fact, for most purposes, I usually hit Cmd + Spacebar to open Spotlight and type in the first couple of letters of the app and hit enter. I have arranged Spotlight so that Applications are top of the list.

I have to say that I rarely use Spotlight for anything else, preferring "EasyFind" or "FindAnyFile" for searches. Each to his own, eh?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And you're quite right, I am rather stuck on the Finder Window method.

Likewise!!

I think I've tried using the Launchpad a few times and decided it was just a waste of time and created extra steps when other better methods are already available. At lest for me and my usage. :[

And no, I don't usually use Apple idea of "Stacks" for a folder of useful or often used stuff either.

But it's nice that we have a choice as a user. ;)

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I've tried using the Launchpad a few times and decided it was just a waste of time and created extra steps when other better methods are already available. At lest for me and my usage.

Have to strongly agree with Patrick on this one. To me Launchpad reminds me of my Windows days when I had various menu launchers and other fancy application launchers. Not needed with OS X in my opinion.

Your choice to use it of course. However, apparently the OP still has the same problem.

@macular: No bug with Photos. We still haven't figured out what you're doing or not doing, but I can assure you that Image Capture works as it should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not needed with OS X in my opinion.

And one can add "Mission Control" to that list as well as far as I'm concerned, and another Mac OS X "feature" I really couldn't see the real sense or use of.

Maybe I should also add and include: Mission Control, Expose, Split Screen & Spaces. The good ol' Finder works fine for my use.

PS: One old OS X feature I do miss was the ability to right-click an alias of a folder that was placed in the Dock to make any selection easy and better than any "stack" configuration.

Now, back to the regular program and hopefully we'll hear back from the OP. ;)

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
IWT...thanks but I have an LG G3

I tried selecting each photo individually, tried selecting all and tried just selecting one photo and the wheel just spins so I cannot get past suggestion #9.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No offence, Rod.

I was merely clarifying the difference between Finder > Applications and Launchpad.

And you're quite right, I am rather stuck on the Finder Window method.:Blushing:

It's just my way. I've never really found Launchpad helpful, though many have. In fact, for most purposes, I usually hit Cmd + Spacebar to open Spotlight and type in the first couple of letters of the app and hit enter. I have arranged Spotlight so that Applications are top of the list.

I have to say that I rarely use Spotlight for anything else, preferring "EasyFind" or "FindAnyFile" for searches. Each to his own, eh?

Ian

Hey Ian, that's what I do too (hit Command + Spacebar). Spotlight may be a bit underused I think but it does some things really well if you set it up properly. I use the F4 key to open Launchpad (don't bother to keep it on the dock) and enter the first letter of the app I want. Really fast and easy. I haven't had to open the Applications folder itself for a long time except to get around rare SIP restrictions.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Funny, I'm sorry this has nothing to do with solving the OP's problem, but because Launchpad is so similar to portable desktop displays I wondered if this was the future direction of Apple file display.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

And one can add "Mission Control" to that list as well as far as I'm concerned, and another Mac OS X "feature" I really couldn't see the real sense or use of.

Maybe I should also add and include: Mission Control, Expose, Split Screen & Spaces. The good ol' Finder works fine for my use.

PS: One old OS X feature I do miss was the ability to right-click an alias of a folder that was placed in the Dock to make any selection easy and better than any "stack" configuration.

Now, back to the regular program and hopefully we'll hear back from the OP. ;)

- Patrick
======

Oh Patrick, I'm shocked. I use Hot Corners and Expose constantly. Put my cursor in the top right corner, show all my open windows, move them to new desktops or choose which one to bring to the front. How do you manage without that? Oh, perhaps your are using a large screen desktop device. I make do with a 12.5" MBP. When real estate is limited a lot of these system options become essentials.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.