Just switched from Windows and missing 'Show Desktop'

Reaction score
Hi

I've just bought a new MacBook Pro, with the TouchBar and although I'm enjoying it I find one thing frustrating. I can be browsing in Safari, with the window maximised and I might want to go somewhere else (say to check an email, or open a download) but I can't find a keyboard shortcut to show the dock (in front of the window I'm using). The Mac equivalent of 'Show Desktop' I think. Also, is there a reason the yellow minimise button doesn't appear when I'm in full screen?

Thanks
Chris

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Nice link, Sue.

I'm surprised it didn't mention another keyboard shortcut to exit Full screen - hit the Esc key.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've just bought a new MacBook Pro, with the TouchBar and although I'm enjoying it I find one thing frustrating. I can be browsing in Safari, with the window maximised and I might want to go somewhere else (say to check an email, or open a download) but I can't find a keyboard shortcut to show the dock (in front of the window I'm using). The Mac equivalent of 'Show Desktop' I think.

There are a binch of ways to do what you would like to do (a few already mentioned above).:) Another one is to use the "Dock" (the bar of icons at the bottom or side of the desktop/display). Load it up with the apps you use the most...then they are just a single click away.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You can also set up "hot corners" in Mission Control and set each corner to something different, including the Show Desktop option.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just a quick note here about the "desktop". In Windows it is quite common to keep lots of stuff on your desktop, however, this is not the Mac way. Do not get into the habit of placing documents or folders on your desktop. As Nick mentioned, there is the Dock which acts like a quick launch menu bar. That's all you need.

Reaction score
If all of this isn't enough, a raw "show desktop" is a gesture on the trackpad. The motion is an inverted pinch, as if you were dipping your fingers bunched together in water and then spreading the water by extending all fingers.

(System Preferences > Trackpad > More Gestures > Show Desktop) has a visual that's not quite like I do it but it works the same.

On a page with a full screen app, you can invert this motion, or press F4, to bring up LaunchPad, which also has a dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
I Like to have the few apps that I use nearly every time I use my mac open on different desktops. Chrome on one mail on another and Spotify on a third.
I can then use a two finger swipe to switch between them .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.