buy apple refurbs from third party retailer?

Reaction score
Is it good to buy Apple refurbs from a third party retailer?

I wouldn't unless I really trusted the retailer.

Refurbished Macs that you purchase from Apple are usually brand new Macs that came down the assembly line and had a problem. They were pulled off, fixed by hand, and tested a bunch of times to make sure that they were perfect. (I know this because I've actually been to Apple's factory in Elk Grove where they used to make iMacs, and we watched it happen.) To you or I such a machine is the same as new, because it never left the factory before being sold to you.

A refurbished Mac that you purchase from some retailer, even an Apple brick and mortar store, can be anything, including someone else's lemon that will never be perfect.

You should only get your refurb's from Apple refurb store:

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

any other refurb is a gamble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Only genuine refurbs come from Apple. Everything else is second hand. Wth an Apple refurb you get twelve months warranty from the date of sale, and you can opt for an additional two years by purchasing AppleCare.

Can third party sellers offer this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is it good to buy Apple refurbs from a third party retailer?

+1 on what has been replied above.

What is is the seller's definition of "refurbished"???

What reputation as a Mac dealer do they have?

Are they an Apple Authorized Dealer??

What price and/or warranty do they offer… etc…???

- Patrick
======

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, Google directed me to the website jemjem.com and I just ordered an i7 jet black (256gb) from them. I found the deal pretty good for the price. Let's see how the product comes out to be *fingers crossed*.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well, Google directed me to the website jemjem.com...

Google can direct you to lots & lots of things. Doesn't always mean you should do as directed.;) Ever hear of SEO (Search Engine Opimization)...or the fact that advertisers pay "big bucks" to show up closer to the top of search engine queries?

Regarding your purchase. Hopefully all goes well.:) Just remember as Harry mentioned above. If you purchase an Apple refurbished computer...it will automatically come with 12 months of Applecare (just like new computers). And all Apple refurbished computers also qualify for extended Applecare (3 years of warranty coverage).

If the refurbished computer you just purchased does not include/qualify for this...then this would be one BIG difference between "jemjem.com" refurbished computers & Apple refurbished computers.

- Nick

p.s. By the way...I just checked out "jemjem.com". REALLY...I would never purchase from them. They're a typical used computer website. For example...all of their 13" MacBook Pro's are from 2009-2011. How "refurbished" can a 2009-2011 computer be?? They're still 6-8 year old computers! AND they are wayy over priced. Why pay $490 dollars for a 2009 MacBook Pro when they are only worth about $200-$250??

As the saying goes..."You can lead a horse to water...but you can't make him drink!";)

OP
P
Reaction score
I obviously didn't make an impulsive purchase. The reviews for jemjem.com were great, they are the largest retailers for refurbished apple products in USA.
I know the prices for macs are high at their end, but for the iphones, i found them great

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know the prices for macs are high at their end, but for the iphones, i found them great

Ok sorry...maybe a bit of confusion. Thought you were talking about getting a computer...not an iPhone. If you found the their prices acceptable for a used iPhone...good deal.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Google directed me to the website jemjem.com and I just ordered an i7 jet black (256gb) from them.

By the way...do you mean an "iPhone 7" (this is where the confusion resulted from)?

An "i7" is a model of CPU used in Apple computers. The term "i7" is usually not used for an iPhone 7.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I obviously didn't make an impulsive purchase. The reviews for jemjem.com were great, they are the largest retailers for refurbished apple products in USA.

It's a bit late but a google on their phone number or other such places if one wants to check can ofter various views, and at least they do provide one: (949) 398-2620.

- Patrick
======

OP
P
Reaction score
By the way...do you mean an "iPhone 7" (this is where the confusion resulted from)?

An "i7" is a model of CPU used in Apple computers. The term "i7" is usually not used for an iPhone 7.;)

- Nick

Hahaha.. My bad!!! :Oops:
I was referring to iPhone 7 plus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.