Inconsistent storage information

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a 13" MacBook Pro (made Feb 2015) and I'm having issues with storage. If I go to "About this Mac..." my storage report clearly says that my laptop has 512GB Flash Storage. However, if I go to "Get Info" on my Macintosh HD, it says my capacity is only 120.99GB.

Am I missing something?

Many thanks for your help, sorry if this is a stupid question but it's really bugging me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Whenever purchasing a used machine, first thing is to erase and format the hard drive and set up your own admin account/s and a brand new, clean operating system. Have you considered the 120GB is what is free and available? What does Apple SystemM Profiler (About this Mac) say under the Storage heading?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I can think o9f at least two possible sources of confusion right off the top of my head:

1. When you use the Get Info command to find storage information about a drive it acually shows three statistics: Total Space, Space Used and Space Available. It is very easy to accidentally glance at the wrong value. The text in that window is rather small.

2. are you by chance using Time Machine to back up your Mac? If so Time Machine may be storing some backups on your internal drive if a backup was due and the regular backup drive wasn't available. these "local snapshots" take up space that is reported in some utilities and not others.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your reply. I'm definitely reading Capacity rather than space used, or available space. I also have never used Time Machine as it's a very recent purchase.

I just spoke to Apple Support who suggested updating to Sierra (I'm currently running Yosemite), and that this will *hopefully* solve the issue. They believe it to be a software problem, after doing a shared screen session with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd be surprised if updating the OS X version will change things but I've been wrong before, but it does have some improvements. :[

What does Disk Utility.app say about the drive's capacities???

I'd be inclined to believe what it says.

- Patrick
======

OP
J
Reaction score
Oooookay so I've looked up the serial number online and it looks like it's actually 128GB... but under About This Mac it says 512gb. Is there any logical reason for this? I bought it second hand and made sure to check the About This Mac section thoroughly, I had no reason to think it would be different in the Get Info section for the HD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I bought it second hand and made sure to check the About This Mac section thoroughly, I had no reason to think it would be different in the Get Info section for the HD.

The SSD in your early 2015 MacBook Pro is actually removable and replaceable. The folks at Mac Sales sell replacement SSD drives for your machine. I wonder if the person who you purchased the machine from changed out the drive? Looking up the serial number on line is not a good indication of the hardware on board if it's been changed.

Why not download the free Etrecheck utility and run it? That will tell you for sure the size of the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well maybe not as Mactrqacker advises that 13" model came with one of four options. 128GB, 256GB, 512GB SSDs or 1TB Flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I would like to see the answer to Patrick's question in post #5
Diskutility is accurate.
Also, I would be surprised if there was an 128 Gb in the machine and " About this Mac " would say it is 512 Gb.

With all due respect, a few pictures ( screen shot ) would clarify a lot.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well maybe not as Mactrqacker advises that 13" model came with one of four options. 128GB, 256GB, 512GB SSDs or 1TB Flash.

And everymac.com says basically the same thing, depending on specific model specs:

Standard Storage: 128, 256, 512 GB SSD Std. Storage Speed: 643.6 MB/s/1.3 GB/s*
Details: Storage varies depending on the stock "base" configuration before the custom processor is selected. Originally shipped standard with 128 GB (MF839LL/A), 256 GB (MF840LL/A) or 512 GB (MF841LL/A) of flash storage. The MF841LL/A option also could be configured with 1 TB of flash storage for an additional US$500. The price of this 1 TB upgrade effectively was cut to US$400 on October 27, 2016.

Meanwhile, McBie and myself are still waiting to find out what Disk Utility.app says about the drive/volume capacity.

PS: Any chance the drive has been partitioned and the volume capacity is being misunderstood???

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.