Wireless Magic Mouse

Reaction score
My wireless magic mouse (purchased about six months ago) as well as my keyboard on my desktop iMac mid 2011 running the latest OS Sierra continue to lose connection. They usually regain connection within 10-30 seconds.
Recently, the mouse has been freezing so I have to force quit the computer to get back to the mouse.
I only have my keyboard and mouse connected to the computer via bluetooth.
Also, the first time the mouse froze I was able to connect a wired HP mouse and it worked. When I tried this time it did not work?

Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent this?

Thanks,
Glen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
Neither link provided any help as I've tried all solutions. Started a couple of months ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You are not using the first version kb and mouse with rechargeable batteries by chance? When I had the older comnination found only Energizer Lithium gave a good result.

If this is the newer Thunderbolt charging system, do you8 have a hands free phone on your desk which can cause interference? You might like to also check out your version of Bluetooth as the newer type of kb and mouse operate much better on Bluetooth 5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To add to harryb's causes and suggestions, here's Apple's list:
Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201542

Personal involvement some years ago finally tracked a goofy chest-freezer motor in a lady's garage, that was right next to the wall of her computer room. Drove us crazy to finally track down and it was just because of some hunch I had as the problem was so intermittent.

Good luck.

- Patrick
======

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
No, I have the latest magic mouse that you charge instead of batteries. I'll check out the type of bluetooth. Not sure where or how I update??

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
No, I have the latest magic mouse that you charge instead of batteries. I'll check out the type of bluetooth. Not sure where or how I update??

To check out which Version of Bluetooth (BT) you have:

First, hold down the Option key and whilst holding it down, click on the BT icon in the top Menu Bar of your Mac.

This will show you the Version.

You can even create a "Diagnostics Report on your Desktop" about your BT.

(other info includes Your Name and the BT Address).

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Last edited:
OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
I have fixed the problem by moving my house phone and also a small mixing board, Procast/Miktek and that has solved the problem. I believe it's the Procast as the phone has been in that location for awhile.
Thanks for all the help.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And thank you for the feedback, Jagsfish.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
+1.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue... My Mighty Mouse bluetooth just freezes and I have to disconnect then reconnect for it too start working again.

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
Thanks Patrick. I'm having another issue with both my Mac mouse and a wired mouse. When I try to click on a drop down window it sometimes takes 3-6 clicks before the window opens up. I know I can hold the click and move to the subject I want in the dropdown window but it's much easier if I can get it to open with one click.
Any suggestions? I'm using a iMac 2012 with the latest OS. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Holy smokes Jag, are you still having the same mouse problems.

Try changing the settings in your Mouse pref pane to something different and see if things improve or try my suggestions in post #2.

I don't use Bluetooth mice as many I have used have a lag I just don't like.

I'd also try using a new mouse and see if things improve.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't use Bluetooth mice as many I have used have a lag I just don't like.

I'd also try using a new mouse and see if things improve.

I'm another person who does not like wireless rodents of any kind, and I might add I also dislike trackpads. I keep a wired mouse handy on my desk but am kind of forced to use one of those rechargeable wireless keyboards that Apple supplies with its newer iMacs. I do have two of the older Apple full size wired keyboards but they take up too much space on my desk and I really do not need to use the extra number keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm another person who does not like wireless rodents of any kind, and I might add I also dislike trackpads.

Add me to a dislike of trackpads and they don't seems to work well with my body. Something to do with some sort of capacitance or somesuch.

I often wondered about wireless mise and when needing a newer mouse our local COSTCO had the Logitech M705 USB wireless on sale. It has been one of the best mice I've ever used, along with a good mousepad, and its two AA batteries last almost three years and I never bother turning it off.

So I would highly recommend a good quality wireless USB mouse.

My transmitter fits into one of the USB ports of my wired Apple extended USB keyboard so I at least have some spare USB ports with my 2011 iMac!!! Remember those days??? :Oops:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's one of the things I like about the Apple full sized wired keyboard, the two USB 2 ports that are included. The problem with those ports on the keyboard is that they can't be used for anything except hooking up a wired mouse or a printer connection. Most other devices draw too much current for the USB 2 hub included with the Apple wired keyboard.

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
Actually, this is different. The first issue was corrected. Because of the first issue, I switched to a wired HP mouse. My magic mouse is still used from time to time.

This issue deals with right-clicking. Example: In iTunes when I right click on a song it opens a drop-down box. Sometimes it takes anywhere between 2-5 clicks for that window to open. It's sporadic. Sometimes it opens on the first right click but the next time it takes 5 before it opens.

This started with the Magic Mouse and they I switched to my wired HP and it does the same thing???
Thanks,
Glen

OP
Jagsfish
Reaction score
Actually, this is different. The first issue was corrected. Because of the first issue, I switched to a wired HP mouse. My magic mouse is still used from time to time.

This issue deals with right-clicking. Example: In iTunes when I right click on a song it opens a drop-down box. Sometimes it takes anywhere between 2-5 clicks for that window to open. It's sporadic. Sometimes it opens on the first right click but the next time it takes 5 before it opens.

This started with the Magic Mouse and they I switched to my wired HP and it does the same thing???
Thanks,
Glen

Here is a video of what I'm experiencing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a video of what I'm experiencing.

That sure looks like the results of a faulty micro-switch but as the magic mouse uses electronic switches, I would suspect something goofy with the Mouse pref pane or maybe some other pref pane or utility that could control a mouse.

Maybe pickup another mouse to try. Even a "Dollar Den" type mouse might work, at least for testing. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.