Microsoft Word 2008--Can't delete highlighted text with delete key

Reaction score
All of a sudden, I can't highlight and delete text with my delete key in a Word Document. I even cut and pasted the text into a new document, with the same results.
I have restarted Word, as well as restarted my computer. I'm wondering if I accidentally changed a setting. Help please! Thanks, y'all!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would guess that Word has become corrupt. Probably need to remove and reinstall Word. Make sure your have your serial numbers on hand if you do.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
chscag has given you the best answer to your problem above. My wife had to do the same about 6 months ago but if you, like her, had a lot of trouble finding the serial number (fortunately I had a picture of the serial number in Photos) you might like to take the oppertunity to update. I know, you will say it's expensive, but 2008 was a long time ago and even the 2011 version is miles better. I have the 2016 version and it's pretty good. Alternatively why not make the break to Pages it is a much improved app compared to it's first incarnation, assuming you are running a current OSX?

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I hate Microsoft has gone to a subcription model. If you purchase it outright, you don't get regular updates. Will look at Pages, but I am in the middle of several writing projects, and would hate trying to change to a new format at this point.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If you purchase it outright, you don't get regular updates

Don't think that's actually the case.

I have the 2011 version and get more or less fortnightly updates. Of course, you don't have to accept them - they are not automatic; but as they frequently contain security patches, one really should.

Anyway, good luck with your projects.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the responses. I hate Microsoft has gone to a subcription model. If you purchase it outright, you don't get regular updates. Will look at Pages, but I am in the middle of several writing projects, and would hate trying to change to a new format at this point.

The subscription model does have extra enhancements that the purchased version does not have such as being able to make changes to the Ribbon and themes. Not sure what you mean by regular updates, but both versions receive security updates on a regular basis.

Pages has been updated now several times, however, the latest update is only for those Macs running Sierra 10.12.4 and later. Note that Mac Office 2008 is probably on its last year of support from MS and does not support Macros. You should really update to at least Office 2011.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.