MAC PAGES - Tables

Reaction score
I have been trying hard to wean myself off WIN WORD by using PAGES for documents. I have a problem with table entries.
I have created my table and entered some wording in cells BUT when I click on a cell and try to amend some element of the text I am allowed only to reinput the entire cell content.
Surely there is a way to make minor amendments without inputting cell content all over again........another obscure document setting which I have missed
perhaps?
Richard

M

MacInWin

Richard, I just tested it with Pages here and I'm perfectly able to edit previous entries. I just entered some text, then moved to a different cell in the table, entered more, went back to the first and clicked where I wanted to make the change and the "I" bar appeared there and I was able to edit. I then left the table altogether, typed text outside the table and then reentered the table and was able to make edits. I have Sierra 10.12.4, Pages 6.1.1. I've made no changes to the default preferences.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Jake. This is all very strange. I am on El Capitain 10.11.6.
I have tried again, and find that just clicking on the cell just highlights it. If I then double click it allows changes.
I just wonder whether I would have been better using TextEditor.
Richard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Richard:

In order to update to the latest version of Pages (6.1.1) that Jake mentioned, you must be running Sierra. Why haven't you upgraded to Sierra?

And is there any particular reason you wish to use Pages rather than Word? I like Pages but find it limited in what it can do compared to Word besides it not being compatible with what I need for my work.

OP
E
Reaction score
I have not updated to Sierra because it seems to have many facilities that I do not need - like Siri. Although everytime I enter PAGES I get a message telling me there is an updated version , likewise NUMBERS.
I am trying to use the MAC systems really due to the unjustifiable cost (to me as retired) of WORD on MAC.
Maybe time to reconsider.

M

MacInWin

Can you afford $7/month? If so, sign up for Office365, get Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook for $7/month.

On the other hand, Pages and Numbers do well, and are pretty functional for an average user.
I have tried again, and find that just clicking on the cell just highlights it. If I then double click it allows changes.
It's not that one click highlights a cell as much as it is that the first click SELECTS the cell, then the next click indicated you want to edit the contents of the cell wherever the cursor is at that click. On the other hand, if you just start typing, it overwrites the contents with the new material. So, to summarize:

First click - select cell
Type to overwrite contents
Second click - select where in the cell to insert new text
Type to add new text at that location
Third click - selects the word or text under the cursor in the cell
Type to overwrite the selected text

Between clicks you can use the mouse/touchpad to select more or less text to add/overwrite (hold and drag) and move the insert point by just clicking where you want to insert.

OP
E
Reaction score
Very grateful thanks for all this Jake and Chscag. I am getting there now.
Taking Chscag's comments I tried to upgrade to Sierra but it refused "cannot be loaded to this computer". When looking at the further information I see that it is because my Macbook Pro is an early 2009 model. It shows that late 2009 would be OK but not mine. I guess I have got as far as I can get with upgrades and shall have to stay on 10.11.6 El Capitain for the rest of my days.
Richard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.