Touch ID not working on an Apple 6SE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
If the touch ID doesn't work can it still be locked/unlocked using a code?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes. The code will always work, the Touch ID is a convenient way of bypassing that. Additionally, after a certain number of days, you have to enter your passcode to re-enable Touch ID bypass. After every restart of the phone you have to enter the passcode..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In addition to what Ashwin stated, if your touch id is not working try redoing your fingerprint again. You can use more than one finger for touch id which is always a good idea in case your finger is slightly wet, or greasy. For some folks touch id doesn't work properly due to oily skin or their work environment (auto mechanic).

I've read rumors where in the future Apple may use retina scan (your eye) to unlock the phone. That should be interesting. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I'm thinking of bidding for one on eBay. I think the seller has probably had the screen replaced and that's why ID touch no longer works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks. I'm thinking of bidding for one on eBay. I think the seller has probably had the screen replaced and that's why ID touch no longer works.

Unless it's dirt cheap, I would stay away from it. There are other things that can go wrong from using a non apple screen - besides no warranty. ;)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

The Touch ID sensor is in the home button. There are rumors about adding a sensor across the entire screen in future versions of the iPhones..

iPhones are easy to get and readily available, always purchase ones that are in perfect working condition..

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice. I have confirmed with the seller that ID touch stopped working after the screen was replaced. I knew that Apple had disabled some features from the iPhone 6 if it was repaired by an unapproved person. Although my iPad is one of the earlier models I had the screen replaced and had a lot of problems with jumping in and out of apps. Fortunately the home button stopped working and I discovered that finger pinching takes me back to the home screen. Since then it has worked fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Thanks for the advice. I have confirmed with the seller that ID touch stopped working after the screen was replaced. I knew that Apple had disabled some features from the iPhone 6 if it was repaired by an unapproved person. Although my iPad is one of the earlier models I had the screen replaced and had a lot of problems with jumping in and out of apps. Fortunately the home button stopped working and I discovered that finger pinching takes me back to the home screen. Since then it has worked fine.

The home button is "locked" to the main system board of the various iPhone models that offer TouchID. If someone changes a broken screen and doesn't keep the original home button, TouchID no longer works.

I've replaced a BUNCH of screens on 5S, 6, and 6S model phones and every one of them continued to have a functional TouchID afterward. It's extra work to swap the home button (takes an extra 20 minutes or so and requires a lot of patience), so many people opt to sacrifice TouchID.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all. I decided not to bid. I'm quite happy with my iPhone 4 at present although at some point the battery will die and, having once tried unsuccessfully to change the battery on an iPhone 3, I don't think I'll try again. Although I replaced the battery one of the connections must have been damaged so it never really worked again.

By the way the reason I was even thinking about buying an iPhone 6 is because I had seen a Skagen 'smart' watch that needed an iPhone 6 to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.